• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Popcorn

So I had my ileostomy done 5 weeks ago. I feel well enough to go out to the movies, but I really want popcorn. I know it could cause an obstruction, but if I chew it really well can I have it?

After my ileostomy several years ago, the nutritionist told me that I would need to stay away from popcorn and sausage to prevent obstruction. However, my surgeon said that I can eat anything provided that I thoroughly chew it. Since then, I have been eating both foods without any problems.

Bufford

Popcorn was one of my comfort foods. There was a time when supper after work was simply beer and popcorn. Now its a food that I fear and is on my forbidden list. I only had to experiment once with it after the surgery to convince me.

Bufford

Pirates Booty, sounds good. If I can find it on the shelf I am going to try it, but without the beer. I have been looking for a safe compatible junk food for Chrony patients if there is such a thing. I can tolerate a few chips, but more than that and it becomes a trigger food.

Bufford

I have not found a store here (in Canada) that carries Pirates Booty, but its available online. With shipping its a bit expensive. I have been substituting an egg salad sandwich to satisfy the urge for snacks later on in the evening. Sometimes grab a wing from a roast chicken I made.