• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Positive TB test and starting Remicade

I'm supposed to be starting Remicade this week but I'm worried that I won't be able to now. I had a PPD placed on my arm at the end of last week. I now have an inch long red mark with a half inch lump in the middle of it. My doctor ruled it as a positive and sent me for a chest X-ray. My chest X-ray looks bad. My lungs are in bad shape and there is visible scarring because I've been fighting off pneumonia for the past few weeks. I'm really worried that I won't be allowed to start Remicade because of all of this. I don't mean the pneumonia. I know I can't start Remicade until I've gotten over that. What I'm really worried about is the TB. I've read that you aren't allowed to start Remicade if you test positive for TB, even though it is only latent. I'm sure there's medication that can be taken for it, but how long will the course of meds take? I'm going into my senior year of high school and I was really hoping to start Remicade before school started back up so I can get to feeling better. Is there any hope of that now? I guess I just want to know, what does this mean? Will this test interfere with getting my Remicade?

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I believe the treatment course for TB is 6 months. :\ And you HAVE to complete treatment before getting remicade. It could be deadly if you don't.

The positive TB skin test means you have been exposed to TB, not that you actually have it. They do a chest x-ray to see if it is present in your lungs. The scarring and inflammation from the pnuemonia could make it hard for them to tell if you have active TB. The pnuemonia will have to be treated first, then they will most likely do another chest x-ray to see if the TB is active. It is at least 6 months to treat the TB, depending on the strain and the amount of disease.

I find it helps to just focus on the immediate goal - in your case getting over the pnuemonia so that an accurate chest x-ray can be taken.

It is hard to not want things "fixed" pronto especially when so many have such good results with the Remicade and you are like 'ME TOO I WANT TO BE BETTER". Just hang in there and take it one step at a time. It may not end up being the timeline you wanted but it will happen.

Just try to enjoy all that you can about Senior year as much as your health enables you to.

Hi I had a positive test too. but i had a BCG vaccination as a baby and its so confusing as to what that means.
how do they tell the difference between latent or whatever?
will i be able to start remicade?
my chest x-ray was clear so that's a relief. my lump was 7mm long and very itchy and red looking.
i have to wait 3wks to find out as my GI away. grrrrrrrrr

ju