• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possable dehydration

Hello everyone,
It has been a long time since I have been on due to extreme busy life as well as trying to stay healthy in it all.
I had a complete colectomy back in Feburary and it has been a life changer. I am so much happier and feel a ton better. That was until recently. I started to feel weak and seeing starry vision every once in a while. Now I am becoming nauseated and tired all the time. I used to pee(sorry so personal) all the time but now it is half of what I was. I drink 3-4 16oz bottles of water a day. If for any reason and there are days alot lately that I am not I will drink a bottle of powerade and maybe 2 bottles of water. I am extremely bloated and feel as though I am gaining excesive weight.
I know when I left the hospital they told me to make sure to eat six small meals a day or at least every 3 hrs and drink lots of water. They also told me to utilize the powerade/gatorade when feeling like my electrolytes are down. I have been feelin this way for about 2 weeks and it is starting to become difficult to function.
We just had a very close familly member pass away faster than expected from her ailment. So I have been under extreme stress and worrying that the kids and my husband is taking well to be expected.I do believe this has played a roll in all the problems. She was diagnosed with cancer the same time I was told I was going through surgery, We did our treatment times together and she was a big part of my life.
Anyway I would really like some other advise to see if I am overreacting but the weakness and the starry vision is really starting to worry me.
Thank you all for listening and for your advise.

If you're drinking as much as 64 oz permdayn(4 16 oz bottles of water) it wouldn't likely be dehydration, unless you were losing it faster than its going in. It doesn't sound like it from what you're describing. But it also sounds like you're bloating indicates you're retaining water.

Stress can do all sorts of weird things to the body, but if I were you I'd certainly be calling my doc for an opinion. The combination of weakness, vision, and bloating just would have me checking to see what the doctor thinks. Sounds like more than just stress to me, personally.

I was drinking about 4L of water/day at one point and was peeing it all out. It was always yellow and I was feeling severely "out of it." Combine that with diarrhea, and boom, I landed in the hospital needing fluids. So don't discount the way you're feeling. Trust your gut and go chat with your doctor

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Shalin. I regularly get dehydrated because of my short gut and ileostomy. I'd drink 5-6 liters of water and just flush my system out - I'd stlii be dehydrated. I had to switch to a rehydration drink. World health organization website has tips.