• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible abscess?

So when i was originally diagnosed with crohns it was found because of an anal abscess that grew painfully large. This was about 13 years ago when i was only 11 years old.

Since then I've had frequent pain in that area that would come and go every couple of months, it would generally hurt for a couple of days and cause great discomfort.

Right now, I'm on my 4th day of pain and I took off of work today to visit my GI, He said he can't see or feel anything in the area, and i do not have a fever or any other negative symptoms, just the pain and discomfort.

He did not prescribe me any kind of antibiotic but he wants me to go see a surgeon tomorrow.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What did the doctors to or find? Would the Rectal surgeon be able to tell if it's actually an abscess any better than

I ask because I have already been hospitalized twice this year for crohn's related problems and took off today as well for the doctors appointment, I just started this job earlier this year and I hate to be such a burden. I'd hate to go and take another day off that I don't really have just for the doctor to say let's wait and see.

I also have an unused bottle of both Cipro(14x500mg) and Amoxicillin, not sure if I should just start taking one of those anyway.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. Sorry to hear this. I had one big abscess they could only see on ultrasound. I think it was actually the surgeon who ordered it.

I wouldn't recommend starting with eithor of those drugs unless your doctor gives the go ahead.

Hope this is sorted out soon.

theOcean

You will likely be prescribed Cipro and/or Flagyl but you shouldn't start or stop medication without consulting with a doctor first. What other medication are you on for Crohn's?

If your doctor is sending you to a surgeon it's likely because you need to see one, and they may have better methods for figuring out what's going on. I had both a CT scan and an MRI for my fistula.

The surgeon will know more about abscesses then a GI. My surgeon stuck his finger up there and knew where to press to know if it was an abscess or not. I would definitly take the day off to see the surgeon. It totally sucks having these problems, and missing all that work, but you have to take care of yourself