• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible obstruction so scared!

Hey everybody!

I started having pain in my abdomen on thanksgiving .. It started little and became very bad by midnight .. I were able at that time to pass little gas and have bm .. But it was like I couldn't push it out had to wait for it come out by itself.

Next day morning I had a very lil bm too .. Called my surgeon's office and they told me to start clear liquids because it sounds like partial obstruction. And after 24 hours if it did not clear out I have to go to the ER

Since my phone conversation which was at 9 I didn't have any bm or gas .. And a little while ago a very very little bm which was dark green..

I'm scared I've never been through obstruction and I don't know what to expect! And the pain is really bad I barely slept last night with Percocet and dilaudid.

Nyx

I'd suggest you go to the ER...you don't want a perforation...that's REALLY painful! Don't take a chance...go and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Hi madferrit !
Yes I went they did a CT which showed no abscess .. They admit me to the hospita .giving me pain killers and antibiotics just incase ... And they're keeping me on clear I quid diet till they figure out what is wrong.

I'm still in the hospital the scan showed fluid in my pelvis which I have no idea what it means.. The Dr said maybe the surgery place is inflamed also they're afraid there might be tiny perforation so they're keeping me on antibiotics for now.

Well I have been through a similar problem. I also went in and they did a CT and found that there was no blockage. Yet I continued to throw up every single day and not pass anything while I was on fluids for the next three weeks. Eventually they did a different passed (it involved drinking something fairly disgusting and then they took pictures as it passed) after this test they finally realized that there was a blockage. If you do have one truly don't be nervous. It was a minimally invasive surgery and had a pretty quick recovery time! Before the surgery I was ten times more miserable then after, so don't worry. Wish you the best!

Terriernut

Wishing for a very good outcome for you. Thank you for keeping us updated. I dont like the sound of the fluid in your pelvis. All digits are crossed for your recovery!
:kiss:

Hi simply Emily

Thank you for responding!

The doctor covering for my surgeon mentioned a test like that but i think they want to wait for my surgeon to come tomorrow then they will decide.

Hi Terriernut
Thanks a lot for the best wishes .. I am concerned too about the fluid but theyre not giving me a reason .. Do you know what it might mean?

Terriernut

Well, they've said there's a small perforation. What they need to find out is, is it just inflammation that caused it, or do you have a stricture from scar tissue, or is it from an obstruction? You mentioned that it was near where you had surgery?

So, with a perforation, you've been leaking from your bowel into your abdominal cavity. What they need to find out is why you have the perforation. (mine was strictured, yours might be an obstruction?) A perforation, if very tiny, can heal up on its own.(mine did in 2009, but it was too bad in 2010) Or, they may need to remove that bit of bowel. All depends on what all they find. Are they doing any further investigations on you?

The antibiotics will help alot, and pain meds. I suppose you are going to be nil by mouth or only fluids for a bit though.
You are definetely in the right place being in hospital!

Thanks a lot that was very helpful! Well the doctor said they suspect tiny perforation but are not sure yet which I hate I feel so confused! But they're waiting for my surgeon and he will decide what is the next step .. And you reminded me a few years earlier I had anal fissure which perforated and I had fluid in my pelvis as well so maybe it's the same I just hope I get a definit answer to what's going on!

Very glad you went just not glad you've had to stay :redface:
Hope you find out whats going on and its nothing too complicated. Sending you big hugs & hoping those antibiotics do some good x

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
They're aware that you've been having issues with your rectum recently right ForeverCrohns? Just be sure they know everything so they're looking in the right areas. You had fluid in the past from an anal fissure which they're likely thinking to only look at your most recent surgical site. So make sure they check both sections.

Hope you start feeling better soon! :)

sending you hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know it is no fun being in the hospital but you are in the right place for them to fix what ever is going on.

Update .. Saw my surgeon today .. he doesn't know why I am having pain yet .. he said I had symptoms of partial obstruction.. He gave me a different kind of painkiller called toradol because dilaudid might be slowing down my intestines more ... I am feeling a little better with the antibiotics and this painkiller so I think it is starting to work .. Hopefully I get an answer on what is the reason for my pain soon..

Terriernut

Yes, the painkillers make my bowels just stop up. Which is amazing, considering they work overtime running a marathon every time I eat. Lets hope they get you some answers and back on your feet on the road to wellness!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
So they suggested perforation and now its back to partial blockage? How does a partial blockage explain the leaked out fluid? Unless its a perforation caused by a partial blockage? Are they planning on running anymore tests ForeverCrohns?

i hope that your feeling better and they give you a good understanding of whats happening so you dont end up back in the hospital!!! do they suggest a probiotic when your on pain killers ? they tend to make you constipated correct?

well hope your relaxing and still feeling better

Hello,

I am having more bm now after they stopped the dilaudid..i heard from the nurses that the doctors are suspecting that I have ileus .. I asked about the fluid and was told its normal to have it after surgery .. I am so nauseous since yesterday but they want me to try and eat to see if my intestines will stop working again :stinks:

Crabby they think I had a partial blockage but it opened up and I think they will do small bawl series if I don't feel better

FC,
I have been doing research on fluid in the abdomen, as i presented with that as well. They looked for a perforation, but attributed it to a partial blockage. With iv pain meds, steroids and antibiotics, they got it under control. They just decided to monitor the stricture/obstructive part for further complications. Due for another colonoscopy soon to check on it. Hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery. Muah- hugs-

I hope you feel better soon! Thank you for keeping us up to date with all that has been going on.

So you went to the hospital with a partial blockage symptoms, and they put you on a pain killer that made you even more constipated and uncomfortable! Please check out the new pain killer they prescribed to you as I am almost certain that a doctor once told me that it is not a good choice as it is very bad for the gut.

Hi ForeverCrohns I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble with getting an answer with what's going on.
As with most drugs its seems as though you are damned if you do & damned if you don't take them.
I hope at least you can get your pain under control in the meantime.
Keep us updated if you can & take care.

Thanks All for supporting me through this I really don't know what I would've done without you guys and this forum!

Acheallova: did you have that after surgery?

Tenacity: the painkiller they put me on now is better because it is anti inflammatory .. Yes it can cause bleeding but it is my hope for restoring normal bawl function.

Yes, i did. The pain killer toradol is monitored closely and works absolutely wonderfully if kept in check. It's great that you're in a place where it can be monitored and still provide u with relief. - HUGS-

Thanks Acheallova really helps to know someone went through the same thing!
So I have a question.. How long did it take for you to have normal movement in your intestines? Did it occur again after that?

Well, i stayed on an all liquid diet which really helped for 5&1/2 months afterward. I've yet to normalize my bm's which is part of the scare and need for more testing. It has been 7 months and I've started trying to eat rice, mashed potatoes and soft foods, and it appears my body ( bowels) are going back into that defensive mode. So, at my appointment last week doc said gear up for another colonoscopy as he wants to ensure there is no blockage :(. So, yes it is potentially occurring again- depending on tests. - hugs-

That's not good like that your bowls got used to liquid !

Ahh I'm so scared! I did this surgery to have a long remission even doctors were suspecting that I won't have problems becaus my crohn's was under control .. I never expected that after one month of surgery when I started feeling relaxed about my situation this happens :s

Terriernut

:( This isn't fair at all! But, you are strong and you will get through it. You just need some time to get healed up and have them figure it out.

It will get better!! :kiss:

Terriernut

Sorry to hear that. As said above tiny bites and an attitude of 'I will!!'. These bowels of ours really shouldn't be allowed to be in charge should they!?

I feel so nauseus today and D accidents that I barely had 2 hours of sleep .. I think eating has made me worse .. Waiting for barium enema not looking forward to it :cry:

Anybody experienced green D with partial obstruction?

I feel so nauseus today and D accidents that I barely had 2 hours of sleep .. I think eating has made me worse .. Waiting for barium enema not looking forward to it :cry:

Anybody experienced green D with partial obstruction?
Your looking at her! What you need hun is to get on your phone,m and phone a friend. Taking your mind off it for a bit might reduce some stress and thus less D. - hugs n luvz- 4 U. Only the hardest part will be getting the barium down. That is rough, not going to lie ( mine came up all over the nurse) but you can do it! I have faith in you. Muah prayers for u 2!

Hey everybody

Wanted to let you know that I finally have an answer for my problem .. My GI came to see me yesterday and he thinks its an inflammation near my surgery that caused the obstruction.
They will put me on TPN for few days till I am allowed to eat normally.

I'm glad its not a surgery complication seriously I were losing my mind .. After 2 CT scans and a barium enema.

Really thank you for your support through this!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad to hear it's not serious! Hope the TPN does the job. :) Yeesh, barium enema... not my favorite test. >:p

Terriernut

My goodness that took a long time for them to figure out. But I am happy you know what it is now, and you can get well!
:ghug:

Thanks everybody lol there's new update !
My surgeon thinks its a perforation that won't show on ct scan because all my symptoms are perforation symptoms. He said he doesn't want to take any risks and want to put me NPO for few weeks with only IV nutrition and antibiotics at home .. For some reason I agree with him because every time I try to eat pain starts again and my intestines are over active all the time.

I hope they makeup their mind on a plan because I am so worried .. I feel like I'm one of HOuse MD Cases :p

At least they are continuing to look forward and find the correct reason, not going off half cocked thus, half treated. Muah- hugs-

Forevercrohns this has taken such a long time to get a correct diagnosis so you must have lost faith in the docs, I know I would.
I do hope you get this all sorted soon.
Big hugs sent your way my friend. I really do feel for you with all you have been through.

Thanks a lot really you guys give me strength with all that support you have been giving me and thanking you is not enough :ghug:

I will keep you updated on any changes!

Sounds as though you are in better spirits. How's the tpn's going? Feeling any better? Hope so. Keep your spirits up. Muah- hugs-

Acheallova I'm feeling better with the TPN at least it's giving me energy.. If I have a little bit of energy I can at least feel mentally better .. Still I'm having abnormal symptoms but I am leaving it to the docs.

Hi ForeverCrohns - I hope you are doing better. I've experienced many an episode as yours and I know there is no pain like it other than Labor pain. I recently had a total block and had bowel resection surgery to remove the strictures and I feel better than ever. Hope you are able to determine what is going on with you. Hugs...

Hey Sparkle.. Thanks for your support !

The problem with me is due to inflammation or some other reason my intestines are failing to function properly .. Right now they are resting them so no food or drink for three weeks .. The pain is better but my symptoms are not better .. Hopefully they figure it out soon ..

I went back and read the entire string. Something unusual going on for sure with you. But I can relate to your pain. I hope they get it cleared up soon. Nothing like hurting and getting no answers. Stay strong...hugs

Hey everybody!

I have some updates ..
First is the good news: I was discharged last Monday, I am feeling better still on TPN and IV antibiotics and I am trying to eat, I tried to eat my first meal today and hoping I don't feel any pain but I am feeling good until now.

Second is the bad news: one day after putting a picc Line in my arm for the TPN I started experiencing pain .. And I kept on complaining from the pain but the doctors thought it was muscle pain .. Later the pain got so severe and the doctor finally ordered me an ultrasound and it turned out to be that there are blood clots all around my TPN from my arm till my shoulder.. So I have to stay on Coumadin for minimum three months.

Glad to hear you are out of the hospital and feeling better. Hopefully you will be able to eat with no problems. If you had an obstruction near your surgical site, is there a possibility it could be due to adhesions, and not inflammation? Or did your doc confirm the inflammation - just wondering.

So glad that is all behind you and you are on the road to recovery!!

Thank you terrienut and Tenacity!

Well the doctor confirmed inflammation due to a small perforation. That's why they're keeping me on antibiotics and stayed a while without eating.

Oh my dear FC, i feel for you. I actually experienced same thing. PICC line caused major issues and clots thus i threatened they take it out or i would ( b/c my arm was 3x normal size) and i couldn't handle the pain anymore.
But....I'm so happy you're home and starting to eat. That's exciting!! Keep it up! Muah-hugs-

Hey Sparkle.
The perforation was caused by my surgery on oct 30th.

Acheallova thanks I'm so excited too! Yeah the pain was definitely very bad it masked my perforation pain! But it's getting better now :) I'm still concerned with the clot and this Coumadin scares me so much with the high risk of bleeding and my INR is not getting to a normal level it's still low even after increasing the dose which means its still possible to develop clots

Terriernut

You are not going to develop more clots because I said so! :ybiggrin:

I mean stay positive...do everything they tell you to avoid them, and all digits crossed it wont happen again.
:kiss: