• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possibly Switching to Cimzia

Hello All!!

I have some questions about Cimzia! I am currently on Remicade and while it is working wonderfully for my GI issues, I have been having some other side effects that have been bothering my quality of life.
Since being on Remicade I've had severe joint pain as well as migraines, light and noise sensitivity. I was tested for drug-induced lupus and it did come back negative. My Remicade levels were also checked and according to my GI those levels are not too high and not too low. At my last GI appointment they believed that the joint pain I am suffering is the arthritis that can accompany Crohn's Disease. I was put on meds for joint pain - which they are kind of helping, but not 100%. I've also had a bone density scan (the results I do not know yet). I am meeting with a rheumatologist tomorrow, in regards to the joint pain I have been suffering.
The last few appointments, Humira was the other biologic I was told I would go on, but the last time I spoke with my GI doctor he brought up Cimzia. Depending on how my rheumatology appointment goes tomorrow will determine if I go on Cimzia.
Is Cimzia known to help with joint pain or does it have the opposite effect?
Has anyone switched to Cimzia because of side effects of Remicade or another biologic? If so, did it mess with your intestinal issues?
My main concern about switching meds is that it will have my intestines flare up again. However, the joint pain and migraines are also starting to affect my everyday life.

Any insight I could be given would be super appreciated!! :ybiggrin:

nogutsnoglory

They are all similar, personally humira was a disaster for me and Remicade is great. Everyone is different. Cimzia may or may not eliminate these issues for you.

nogutsnoglory

Also since you are in the extreme fatigue group and take folic acid you should know many have gene mutations that make folic acid absorption difficult. You may benefit from switching to the active form recognized by the body called L-methylfolate.

Also since you are in the extreme fatigue group and take folic acid you should know many have gene mutations that make folic acid absorption difficult. You may benefit from switching to the active form recognized by the body called L-methylfolate.
I currently take Folic Acid due to the Azulfidine I'm on, because it is known to lower folate levels.

nogutsnoglory

Yes, but folic acid requires conversion in the body. L-methylfolate is the form your body will recognize and absorb the easiest especially if you have a deficiency.