• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post laparoscopic illeo caecal resection

Hi all! I am 9 days post op. I had 15 cms removed electively due to severe inflammation. It was a decision made to avoid immunosuppressants and biologicals for now. I’m wanting to hear from people who’ve had the same? I am currently doing v well considering! I’m eating what I was before, fully mobile with little pain and wound healing well. I am experiencing some d but not too frequently. My bm’s range from loose brown to v loose green. I’m getting more reflux but on ppi’s so have upped those. Otherwise feeling tired like I was pre op and washed out and headachy. Is this similar to what others have felt? Did anyone find that bam improved over time? How long before energy levels increase? Many thanks to all who reply and stay well 😊

Hi Lindsay,

I had that surgery 6 years ago and about 6 months after the surgery, I started having a sharp achy pain in my right side, after a meal. After much research, I discovered I had SIBO, Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, due to not having my ileocecal valve any more. This lets the bacteria usually kept in the large colon, into the small bowel. Started a diet for this, including a course of antibiotics first, and when the pain would build again. I found that the FODMAPS diet is what helped me the most. Good Luck and stay well!! :hug:

Hi! Thanks for your reply 😊 yes I’ve heard of sibo and understood that this is something you can get with Crohn's itself also? Some of the discomfort of the disease can be attributed to this? How much bowel did you have removed? Many thanks fir your reply 😊

I had the cecum & 15 cm of the terminal ileum 6 years ago. But since then I have gotten a hemicolectomy, in Sept 2016, and I have never felt better! So, you don't really know what will happen after your surgery. I hope SIBO doesn't happen, but good to know it might.

Good luck, isn't fun having Crohn's....:yfaint:

Linda

Hi Linda! Yes a agree. Bit of a lottery! At the moment ten days posy op feeling fine! Looser stools but no pain. Just tired etc. I’ve had Crohn's for many years undiagnosed and essentially been nit bad at all compared to some. Four hospital admissions ranging from 12 years to six months between admissions which were down to obstruction they now believe which righted itself. My main problems have been constant low level discomfort and exhaustion! I have only had one course of steroids which made things worse but my mri was poor showing a great chance or obstruction hence I made the decision to remove. Aparently because it’s taken many years to get to this point I am in the group op sufferers that may not/ may have delayed return of symptoms but will see! I’m just going with it at the min 😊 xx