• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post-op fitness- need advice

Hi! So I'm 3.5 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good. Still can't lift heavy things or engage the abdominal muscles very much. I'm gaining weight since I can eat again, which is good. I'd like to gain about 10 pounds. And I REALLY need to gain muscle since basically all of muscle had melted away over the last several months, esp in my arms, legs, and back.

Can anyone recommend muscle building excersizes that will not hurt my abdominal incision? And also fat burning excersizes? I want to build muscle and burn fat. So far, since surgery I have been walking everyday....but now I'm just bored of that. Thanks!

hawkeye

Staff member
I asked my surgeon about this at my 8 week post surgery follow up and he mentioned planks.

But to make a long story short I haven't done any. I started walking a few weeks after surgery (it was in February) at first it was just the length of the street (our community mail box is at the end) then around the block. I started back running in June and have run 2 - 5K races

I haven't done any planks, I might get into that over the winter as core work for running.