• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post op review

Off to the hospital in Inverness to see the GI tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't disappear into a black hole again :rof: After an unexpected 10 day stay in Sept 2011 and then 3 weeks in Sept last year, work are a tad anxious. I've run the payroll just in case! It's just an outpatient appointment and I am feeling so well so it should be OK. Got a blood test done here on Thursday.
My questions for the doc:
1) How are the blood results?
2) My colonoscopy result said 'evidence of quiescent pancolitis': what was that all about?
3) If I have to be on a maintenance med, is LDN an option and what does he think of it?
4) Should I be taking supplements after IC valve and cecum removal?
I shall also be hitting the shops AND hopefully will have time to get a tattoo done that I've wanted for a while. DS is buying it as my birthday/Christmas present for last year.
Wish me luck :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Good luck Helen!! How can it be quiescent if there's evidence??

What are you painting on yourself??

Trysha

Staff member
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow Helen
Hope everything goes really well and that you have a good shopping trip
Hugs and Best Wishes
Trysha

Good luck Helen!! How can it be quiescent if there's evidence??

What are you painting on yourself??
Hmm, I dunno Dex. I thought that meant evidence of healed, no longer active disease, but it was the first time colitis had ever been mentioned. I was even thinking it might not be my results.
And I'm hoping for a Crohn's ribbon/cherry blossom combo tattoo :hug:

Good, good news :dance: My bloods are about as normal as you can get - well apart from one reading that shows if you're taking enough exercise or not? Ooops, caught!! Even my iron and folate levels are 'spot on' so he says I don't need supplements.
We looked at the colonoscopy results and whoever wrote the letter made a mistake with the the 'pancolitis'. The report clearly says evidence of quiescent Crohn's, but that they could only get a little way into the TI as I was in so much pain ( I don't really remember that from that scope, but do from previous ones. ) Guess it won't be a problem in the future with no IC valve?
He also says he doesn't recommend a maintenance med for the time being as my disease has proved to be drug resistant. He wants me to go back in 3 months time for a feacal calprotectin test, which I've not had before, to make sure it's 'not coming back and sneaking up on you.' :devil:
In the meantime, if I have the slightest hint of symptoms, I've to phone his secretary and they'll call me over to investigate. I forget to ask about LDN as I was really expecting him to put me on 6mp like the surgeon said he thought he would. I do confess to being a bit eeeek! about not being on meds, but the ones I was on didn't completely help, so I guess I will keep watching my diet etc to try to keep things under control.
So I had a good trip - stayed at a lovely B & B, went shopping, got my tattoo and made it home just as the snow was starting and before the blizzards set it.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Dexky

Nice…not for me:), but nice! Good luck sans meds Helen! Fecal CP is how EJ's latest issues were noticed. He had no other problems at all and we thought all was smooth sailing but afraid not.

Dexky

Outwardly, there's nothing to improve:) He feels great!! We're bw's to bw's right now! But thanks H:)

Helen, it's good to hear that you are able to have some time without meds, but with your GI keeping a careful watch on you - the best of both worlds. :thumright:

Have you given any thought to what sort of diet you are going to try in order help keep your gut on the right track?

Thanks, Susan. I did SCD, strictly adhering to it for a while, until I started a new job and found it difficult to do time wise. These days, I avoid caffeine, yeast, sugar, wheat and gluten as much as I can as even in remission they can give me bother, especially caffeine.
I'm also picking up my juicer this weekend so hoping to embark on a juice fast with Gianni at some point soon :)

As promised, the GI is arranging for my fecal calprotectin test. Got a call from my local surgery today to go pick up the necessary from them on Monday. I'm still doing very well. A few niggly pains in my right side, but nothing major. Life with no bladder issues, no joint pain and having energy is lovely :)