• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post-pregnancy Crohn's symptoms

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2010 after several months of severe pain, cramps, and general bad health. I went to regular checks and had monthly blood work done, and took the meds they gave faithfully. I was doing much better more than a year later, so I talked to my Dr about getting off the meds. They were effecting my brain - I couldn't think straight, just processing information at my job was taking so long - and I wanted different options if that was possible. My dr. said if I was feeling fine, I could get off the meds slowly and see what happens. I did eventually go off all meds and, when no real symptoms reappeared, just lived life normally. I was VERY paranoid anytime I had digestive pain, but for more than a year it was just "regular" discomfort that people have when they eat poorly or don't drink enough water or have a virus.

I got married and found out we were expecting just months later. During the pregnancy, I felt better than I had since I'd been diagnosed with Crohn's.

Now my baby is 3 months old and I'm starting to feel like the Crohn's symptoms are coming back. At first I was ignoring it, thinking maybe it was just hormones readjusting, but since I am starting to feel worse and worse, I'm thinking that my initial fear of Crohn's returning is correct.

I don't want to get on meds, as my diagnosis was not severe or in advanced stages, so I'm trying a diet my friend who does have advanced Crohn's uses - the specific carbohydrate diet.

That's my story. Not very dramatic - God has been very gracious. I'm just hoping that this diet will help!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome - it is fairly common for a female to go into remission and/or feel better when they are pregnant, and then flare after the pregnancy hormones have settled down...my own story - I had flared and was in the hospital, got out and shortly after got pregnant (unkplanned/known to me!) - I was VERY healthy during my pregnancy, however when my daughter was @3 months old I had to go back onto meds and did end up on Remicade to take care of an ongoing fistula problem (had those before becoming pregnant).....

There is a lot of good information about different diets here on the forum, please do keep in mind that what works for one may not work for all - and please, don't let things progress too far if you don't start feeling better or get worse without consulting with your doctor - remember that inflammation can be there even if you don't have symptoms, so you still need to be under a doctors' care to make sure all is ok.