• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post Resection Surgery, What to expect?

Dear Crohn’s Forum

My wife was released from the hospital yesterday after an 8 day stay after receiving a resection surgery of her small/large intestine and to everyone’s surprise while in surgery the surgeon found a large incarcerated hernia on her small intestine of the lower/back left side. This hernia was never identified in the CT scans. Both areas were repaired this past week on July 8, 2013. The surgical recovery in the hospital was much more intense than we had expected. They had to perform an open surgery, not lazar account the hernia and past surgery scare tissue resulting from Gold Bladder Surgery and a back fusion. When the surgery was over she had an incision of 9.5 inches.
My wife is 48 years old and was diagnosed with Crohn’s in Aug. 2012. She suffered through the past year with very little benefit from medications. She’s now resting a lot, trying to eat light solid foods while trying to fight off the nausea.
My question is what should we expect from this point after surgery? I understand everyone is different and recovery time will differ from case to case, but it seems like the doctors failed to give a clear picture of what to expect.
When can we expect the following?
• The normal appetite to return?
• The stool to firm up?
• When will the nausea stop?
• Strength return?
• Etc.?
We are worried,
Thanks In Recovery

Unfortunately Lov-it, no one can give you a definite answer to these questions! Just like the disease affects us all differently our recoveries and relapses are all unique in length and intensity. I can tell you about my experiences but to be honest I've found using other peoples mile stones as markers for my own recovery made me feel worse about my situation rather than better.

After my resection I had a stoma for 6 months, which has it's own challenges and benefits. Which the surgeon then reversed. After the reversal I had a reaction to the anaesthetic that took about 24 hours to wear offer, I then suffered with terrible gas pains for about two weeks during which time my appetite was quite poor. Even after the gas pains were gone my appetite didn't improve much until about week 4/5 post op.

My strength returned within a matter of days of having the epidural down. Though movements were sluggish and slow due to not getting a lot of food and the incision etc.

My stool firmed up around the 5 week mark and even then I could still go up to 3/4 times a day, but even still I will get really mushy and even watery stools every now and then I have been told this can be normal up to about 6 months after the operation.

If you are concerned, the best people to speak to are the GI's and Surgeons as they should be monitoring your wifes condition if it has not been long since the op. Also your IBD nurse if you have one can be a great help! Just remember your wife has had a major operation, it will take time for her to recover properly and feel like her 'normal' self. I have been told by a junior surgeon that to fully recover from all effects of surgery it can take a young healthy person 12 months +

But when your wife is feeling better all this will seem like a drop in the ocean.

I wish you both the best of luck and health, I sincerely hope she starts feeling better soon.