• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post surgery and starting to give up already.

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas.
I'm new to this, but just needed to talk to ppl going thru what I am, dealing with Crohn's. I was 21 when I was diagnosed with Crohn's and had to have an emergency surgery after 3 months of Being diagnosed. The docs removed 22cm of my small bowel and stapled me up. But sure enough 2 years later my Crohn's was back. Now I'm 31 and just has my second surgery 5 weeks ago. I was on clear liquids for 3 weeks prior, super sick lost weight etc. Omg was it a tough ride. I had another 22cm of my small bowel removed and was stapled up again. Wasnt an easy hospital visit. Surgery went well with minor complications and was in the hospital for ten days then back day eleven because I was throwing up bile all day and man was that painful. After 2 weeks of the hospital I was finally home, still in alot of pain though ESP.My right side of my tummy it still hurts. After 4 weeks I was starting to think positive and my bm's were normal (2/3 times) and I was thinking positively and was confident I was going to feel good again. But I was back in the hospital on Monday with high fevers, severe body aches, cough etc. I was given the usual morphine and Tylenol and the docs did a ct scan and told I had some sort of an infection but docs aren't sure what. I was given some more pain killer prescriptions and came home.
After coming home I still had high fevers and cnt Tylenol but then the next day I started having the runs, went to the washroom about 15 times and the last four were bright red blood! Now I'm starting to get worried. Spoke to my GI and he told me to monitor and if need be go to ER I really didn't want to go to ER during the holidays. After 3 days of bleeding the bleeding stopped but I'm still going to the washroom 6-8x. As soon as I eat I feel this urge within 5 mins and then 20 mins later I'm running to the washroom. I never felt like this before.
Foods starting to scare me now and I'm starting to give up. I just don't know what to do. I'm scared and sick of being sick! This surgery was supposed to help but I feel like I'm back at square 1. The incision line hurts from the coughing, my lower part of my tummy just kills when I move and I've been living off Tylenol extra strength every 4 hours.
What do I do???

Welcome, welcome! I'm so sorry to hear that it's not going well... I just got out of surgery too... It sucks that you have to deal with this on Christmas... But I mean, if you're in pain and suffering, there's obviously something wrong that they're not addressing and that you can't address at home. I'd suggest you definitely go to the ER. You'd be better off in their hands, even if it does mean a ruined holiday. I had to give up Christmas with my family to be in the hospital recovering from surgery, so I know how you feel. Feeling better in the ER will make your holiday significantly better, I promise! If you have family that you want to spend time with, have them spend part of the day with you! It's more important that you aren't suffering. I feel for you and am dealing with a very similar situation... Let me know if you want to talk!

Kyle

Crohns Bear,

sorry to hear what you are going through. I agree with Kyle, go to the ER and get help. Antibiotics? they could give you all you need through the IV if need be and give your colon/intestines a rest, relieve the pain and give you antibiotics.
let us know how you are doing.