• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Potassium Shake

I've always had difficulty with low potassium, even with IV supplementation. Recently my potassium moved into the normal range after I added this shake to the electrolyte replacement drink I've been using. Its designed to boost potassium and bulk up stool. It might be helpful for high output stomas.

Potassium Shake
put the following into a blender, water first:

1 single-serving box coconut water
1-2 frozen bananas
1-2 tablespoons almond butter (or any nut butter)
2 tablespoons fiber supplement
Yogurt to taste (optional)
dash salt

FYI signs of low potassium include: muscle cramps, often in the hands and feet, heart palpitations, breathlessness, feeling faint when standing up, and low blood pressure. If you're waking up with toe cramps, get an electrolyte replacement drink and give this a try. At least it will taste good.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi BlueSky, thanks for the recipe. I might try a modified version of it. In spite of supplementing, I usually have borderline-low potassium levels (things like sweating in the gym will frequently cause me to lose enough potassium to drop down too low - it's common for me to experience foot cramps during/after a workout due to the potassium loss from sweating).

I can't have any coconut products though, coconut is my #1 worst trigger food (it absolutely wrecks my guts), hence why I'd have to modify the recipe. Is there something else you'd suggest in place of the coconut water? I can do bananas, almond butter, I take psyllium husks for fiber, and I can do soy yogurt and salt is fine. So everything else should be good for me aside from the coconut water! Any ideas on what to replace it with?

Hi BlueSky, thanks for the recipe. I might try a modified version of it. In spite of supplementing, I usually have borderline-low potassium levels (things like sweating in the gym will frequently cause me to lose enough potassium to drop down too low - it's common for me to experience foot cramps during/after a workout due to the potassium loss from sweating).

I can't have any coconut products though, coconut is my #1 worst trigger food (it absolutely wrecks my guts), hence why I'd have to modify the recipe. Is there something else you'd suggest in place of the coconut water? I can do bananas, almond butter, I take psyllium husks for fiber, and I can do soy yogurt and salt is fine. So everything else should be good for me aside from the coconut water! Any ideas on what to replace it with?
Orange juice is high in potassium and a good base for a shake. You can cut it with water if it gets too sweet. Other stand alone potassium drinks include V-8 and most vegetable juices, especially carrot juice (really high). Fresh squeezed or juiced always has the most.

I'm about to try psyllium husks thanks to this forum. I'd never heard of it before. Inspiring to hear that you're in the gym sweating. That's one of my future goals.