• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Power of Attorney Form

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. My daughter just turned 18 :ywow:
I'm thinking about her going off to college in a few short months...
One thing I know that I need to get ASAP is a Power of Attorney. Have any of you done this yet? There are a few forms online that I can get but most look like they have a nominal fee and I just wanted to be sure that it doesn't need to be state specific (we're in VA) or have any special language that I need to be sure is included. From what I've read, most people don't go through an attorney for this. Any advice or words of wisdom from those who have gone before? Also, am I still allowed to post in this forum?! :shifty-t:

Hope your kiddos are all doing okay!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I found a free on line form I believe, there are also medical directive forms, our state Dept of health had them on line. That allows me to make decisions for my brother if he is incapacitated.

crohnsinct

We just filed the hospital and doctor's office forms that say I am allowed access to any and all information and that I am allowed to have discussions with the doctor about her health and care. We didn't get into medical directives because as parents we were told we are the decision makers should she be incapacitated. Now if she were to run off and marry some guy she met at a kegger then I guess he would be the "next of kin" and have decision power but I am choosing to believe that won't happen anytime soon;)

And every time he sees someone new he puts me on as someone they can talk to. I'm also listed at the disability office on campus and filled out all the forms as someone that can talk to them. I don't he's really good at handling it but just in case I can coordinate with his GI here and disability office away at school