• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prebiotics

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Have any of you heard of or regularly take prebiotics? While it is available from some companies, I primarily think of prebiotics solely in its food form. Prebiotics (like probiotics) is found in some foods and also is available in certain products on the market.

Ingesting probiotics is taking the actual bacteria into your system. Prebiotics is helping the good bacteria thrive in your system by supplying them with the right food to help them grow.

These foods include: bananas, raw oats, certain artichokes, unrefined wheat or barley, asparagus, onions, leeks and green beans in addition to other foods.

While this is not actively discussed as a diet solution or even something you should be considering, it can not hurt to try and eat a bit more of the foods you know of that are high in prebiotics. I would never suggest eating a food that is good for you that does not agree with you usually (and causes symptoms like cramps), but if a good food agrees with you than you should definately try and eat it regularly.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I think so :).

I actually think it is best though to eat any foods with prebiotics in their natural state/form. This means eating raw onions allows you to get the best benefit from them. Otherwise, thinks like like cooking them may cause changes to the food, making them not as beneficial.

But I still would think it is a good thing to do.

Yeah I have been trying to add bananas and salsa with a lot of onions in it to my diet. One good thing which I will put in the food section soon will be a pineapple salsa. It is good for because the onions are good for digestion as the pineapple keeps the colds and germs out of your system due to the acid also the tomatoes. I never heard of prebiotics before but have included them in my diet without thinking. I wonder if there is any conection to what your mind tells you to eat.

Thanks for the post

Kev

Hmmm, food for thought (OK, shoot me, I just had to say it).. Seriously, if the dietician is still checking in from time to time, perhaps she'll offer to shed a little more light on this topic... Most of those foods you mention Mike are favourites of mine... but most of them I had to give up to follow the diet I've been placed on... no fresh veggies, no fresh fruit other than overripe bananas

I WOULD LOVE TO ADD SOME DICED RAW ONIONS TO MY (UGH) VEGETARIAN WEINERS... MAYBE SOME FRESH SALSA TO MY SCRAMBLED EGGS IN A SOFT TACO SHELL... (white flour, not corn - unfortunately)... OH, I'm really hungry

S

Skinsfan1229

I believe if your taking a good enough probiotic you should need to take PRE-biotics at all. They shoudl make it to where it needs to be.