• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pred side effects, heart rate and anxiety advice/tips

Hi guys,
I have just finished a week on IV steroids and have started to take oral pred. Starting on 40mg a day.
I have been on pred before & really suffered with some of the side effects, he moon face, weight gain and sleep problems. This time I am determined for it not to effect me so badly!
In the past few days I have really suffered with a rapid pulse / heart palpitations and hot flushes. I will suddenly be boiling hot and sweating with a pounding heart for no reason. I also have sudden feelings of dread, anxiety and irritability. Almost like loss of control? I don't know if I'm alone in this.
I have suffered from anxiety in the past and am concerned this will set me off feeling worse and depressed. I have waves of such extreme emotion.
I know everyone reacts differently but is there anyone who has any tips/advice or similar stories about this range of symptoms/side effects.
Thanks xxx

My son had that side effect. It almost developed into a panic attack once at a basketball game because he didn't know that his medication was causing it. Once he knew it was part of the prednisone and it's effect on him it was easier for him to deal with.

There wasn't really anything we could do about it. Getting out for a bit and having some exercise everyday helped. Our G.I. recommended seeing a therapist. We felt like we were able to get things under control and then he was off the med so we didn't get that far. I am not sure if they would have prescribed an anti anxiety med or not. I would mention it to your G.I. if it gets to the point that you are miserable.

(((((Hugs)))))) to you I know how hard this is. Hang in there.

Hi Johnnysmom,
I think you are right. Understanding that there is a medical reason behind the anxiety feeling will hopefully make it easier to deal with. Knowing that it is a manufactured/chemical/physical symptom rather than in your head.
Did you guys see a therapist? And once he was off, did he find those symptoms went away?
I have mentioned some of the physical side effect but have been told there is very little that can be done, but cutting down on caffeine may help. As its obviously a stimulant.

Thank you, it's pretty tough! Especially when it starts messing with your head/feelings and not just physical symptoms.

Xxx

Anybody experience hair loss with a bad flare? I'm not sure if its due to lack of nutrition or the steroids. But my hair starts to fall out. :/ which is very upsetting.

We did not end up seeing a therapist. My son felt he didn't need to talk about it and we wanted to try some other things before we went to another medication because he was already on so many. We did see a cardiologist and they gave him a complete workup, which was all normal. The racing heart rate got better as he started to taper but the trouble sleeping and the anxious/sad moods didn't get better until he was off. Now he is feeling great and completely normal.

He did have slight loss of hair while on Pred. It stopped once he was off. Nothing major but I noticed and it was a bit upsetting. But it didn't get worse which was my fear.

I always wondered about Tylenol PM to help him sleep. I felt like if he was able to sleep he could face the day better. I never asked the G.I. about it though.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I know it's not easy. :(

I think sleep is very key, so may look into that or Nytol or something similar to help. Hopefully I will not be on them for too long and at least I know it's a manufactured reeled that will go off when I stop on the pred.
The hair loss is distressing, as vain as it sounds. But I guess I have to stay positive, and it could all be worse.
I'm glad your son is now doing okay! It's encouraging to know ill get there in the end!
Thank you very much :) xxx

Cutting your sodium levels will stop the moon face and water retention also.

Hi Myreinhard, I've heard that, but I'm not so sure. I don't have a colon (where sodium is mostly absorbed) so I never have to worry about my salt intake. Yet right now I'm on 7th month of Pred and my face is very plump. Lack of sodium for me doesn't do anything to help my moon face.

That is what the GI told us before my dd had her colon removed. Removing salt isn't an option with no colon though bc you need the water retention. My DD is a j-poucher so I am now the crazy mom salting her kids food all the time getting weird looks.

The reason to Avoid salt if you have a colon
Most of us consume much more salt (sodium chloride) than our body needs. Normally, our kidneys keep our body in balance any excess salt is excreted in the urine. Prednisone causes sodium retention and potassium loss which may lead to fluid retention, weight gain, bloating and low blood potassium levels. In some patients, this can cause high blood pressure or worsen a pre-existing condition. We suggest a no-added salt diet and avoidance of highly salted pre-packaged convenience foods. Use fresh herbs whenever possible. Read food labels. Don't add salt to cooking and remove the salt shaker from your table. Instead use low-salt spices to add flavor to your meals. Ask your doctor about using salt-substitutes which are helpful since they contain extra potassium.

That is what the GI told us before my dd had her colon removed. Removing salt isn't an option with no colon though bc you need the water retention. My DD is a j-poucher so I am now the crazy mom salting her kids food all the time getting weird looks.

The reason to Avoid salt if you have a colon
Most of us consume much more salt (sodium chloride) than our body needs. Normally, our kidneys keep our body in balance any excess salt is excreted in the urine. Prednisone causes sodium retention and potassium loss which may lead to fluid retention, weight gain, bloating and low blood potassium levels. In some patients, this can cause high blood pressure or worsen a pre-existing condition. We suggest a no-added salt diet and avoidance of highly salted pre-packaged convenience foods. Use fresh herbs whenever possible. Read food labels. Don't add salt to cooking and remove the salt shaker from your table. Instead use low-salt spices to add flavor to your meals. Ask your doctor about using salt-substitutes which are helpful since they contain extra potassium.

Good info. Also, Morton's Lite Salt is the real deal, and contains extra potassium so it's another good way get both sodium and potassium.

Im glad I found this thread, I started on pred a few weeks back 40mg like yourself and reduced by 5mg each week, im now down to 15mg a day

the first week I seemed to be fine, honeymoon period I guess you could call it! but after that I started having a lot of trouble sleeping and have had a fair few, what seems like, panic attacks in the night, waking up with a racing heart rate, hot and sweaty, a feeling very scared, even though i had nothing to worry about

i also found occasionally that i would be very short tempered with people, even when i know i shouldnt be and paranoid that people are avoiding me and also a bit depressed ... has anyone ever experianced that?

and i think ive been lucky with the hair loss, ive not noticed anything

anyway, now im down to only 15mg a day, the side effects seems to be dying down and everything is slowing going back to normal

Hi furiousfunker

Don't worry, I have been the same at times. Suddenly feeling so agitated by things which usually wouldn't bother me. Or like I have been really wound up, I have to try really hard not to snap at people. IV explained to my family and boyfriend and they are largely being very good, but I do feel bad.
i know what you mean about almost being paranoid, i catch myself dwelling on feeling down and I worry about how annoyed I can get with people, especially the poor boyfriend. But I guess we always target the people we love most.

The sweats, and suddenly feeling really warm isn't pleasant. And I hate the pounding heart beat, it can make you feel really out of control and bring on other anxiety symptoms. I have gone to my Dr and explained about the heart hammering and the sudden adrenalin filled moments and I am now on BetaBLockers, which I think have already made a difference, especially at night.

Can't wait to be off the pred now!! I'm on 30mg at the mo but coming down fairly quickly by 10mg.

X

I got some feelings like this from prednisone. First I felt no different, then I got more euphoric/happy feelings and thought it was great. But at times it then tipped over into anxiety. I just felt really tightly wound.

The dose was tapered right down but it seems for me the effects of prednisone follow a couple of weeks delay. I'm still feeling anxiety that doesn't make sense to me. I miss the safer, more in control feeling I had before prednisone. The anxiety doesn't really seem associated with physical symptoms for me. It's not like I'm having panic attacks, it's just my mind.

I just keep telling myself to hang on a few more weeks (hopefully it shouldn't be much longer than that, should it?) and it will go back to how it was - and I'll be able to sleep longer again!

I know what you mean, I too feel very wound up, almost wired. Although a lot of it is in my mind rather than full blown anxiety attacks, just simmering symptoms and a lot of going over things in my head/feeling low.
I do think it takes a bit of time for the symptoms to go, and for the pred to leave our systems fully.
I do hope you start to feel better soon though! I know how exhausting it feels.
Xxxx