• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pred side effects

Just wondering if the moon face and acne from the pred decreases when you taper down or do they stay with you until you finally wean off (or maybe even longer)?

I wasn't that bothered about it until a couple of people yesterday started commenting on how my face looked fat and round!!

Thanks

yeah, my friends found it funny to squeeze my cheeks:D............

it goes away after you taper down, you wont always be like this:)

It's taken nearly 6 months of being off it for the acne on my back to go away but the moonface fades pretty fast once you start tapering.

I was actually wondering about this too... I've never had the moon face or munchies on Pred, but my docs now think I haven't been absorbing it which is part of why I haven't really got much better on it. So they're giving me IV hydrocortisone instead - will this make me moon faced and hungry?:eek: I know it'll be great if it gives me some relief, but I am freaking out about poss. side effects!

The moon face got a little better when I was tapering down, but didn't really go away until I was completely off it. The acne unfortunately took a few months to settle down as well. Although, I'm sure it depends on how high of a dose you were on and how long you took it for.

CookieCat said:
I've never had the moon face or munchies on Pred, but my docs now think I haven't been absorbing it which is part of why I haven't really got much better on it. QUOTE]

That's interesting because I never had the munchies or moon face before i started my Remicade, maybe my intestines couldn't absorb the pred properly before I started my infusions.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I got moonface too. :eek:( My mom noticed earlier this week and pointed it out to me. Thanks mom. Mine didn't appear until I was down to 20mg a day though. Hopefully it won't stay around too long then -- I'll be moving on to 10mg per day next Thursday.

pharmacist told me that those symptoms go away when you stop taking the pred, but i don't know from personal experience, since i've only been on it for 4 days.

Cheers for your replies everyone.
I'm now down to 2mg per day and tapering down to 1mg on Sat which is a big relief! Still have the moonface (even though it is reduced somewhat) and the acne has pretty much gone now thanks to some cream my gp gave me for it.
Not as bothered by the moonface now as i know that I am nearly finished with the pred and also grateful that I have been nearly symptom free because of the Remicade.