• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pred Weight Gain feeling Deflated

So I have been on my second course of Prednisolone
from December 23rd till March 23rd.
and I have put on 21 ish lbs taking me from 8 stone to 9 and 1/2 stone.

I need to get some of this weight off, I have been doing the diet and exercise for the past two weeks ish, and I seem to have put on weight...
I weighed myself this morning and I appear to be 10 stone.

I have had issues with eating before, and I used to not eat and starve and binge and purge etc. But I got better, and I haven't done this for ages, and before Christmas I was happy with my weight. But then the steroids I have obviously put on weight, a lot of weight but I can't CAN NOT get it off.

I feel like starving myself again because I know that that gets results, and I know this is not healthy but I am so deflated after putting on weight.

and I run a motivational instagram page for people with crohns, and I feel like I can't continue with this page if I myself am having these problems.
I really am at a loss.

I am sad today

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Holly. Sorry to hear you're feeling this way. I put on a lot of weight when I was on pred. It is easier to lose when you're completely off that stuff. You just finished? I know how you feel. Hang in there. Sending you my support and best wishes.

Oh noooo... Please don't do that again... You now have to be much more careful with eating and things!!
Remember to keep your metabolism working well and burning calories you need to eat regularly, so that should be motivation enough to keep eating!!
Pred is crappy for making us gain weight, remember some of it will be water weight, so keep drinking loads of fluids and you'll find some of that does settle fairly quickly...
As for the rest of the weight... We'll try and lose it together eh?! I'm getting married in 14 weeks and just came out of hospital - was on 600mg a day IVs so, you know, somebody really should call greenpeace... ;)
Take care and chin up!

Please do not starve yourself that will only end up with you being ill again, as I am sure you know.
I do understand how you feel though, I lost loads of weight due to crohns and while I felt on deaths door and cried every time I looked at my naked body , I did look better in clothes.
Now I have put it all back on and feel a bit rubbish about that. But I keep reminding my self that these curves show I am healthy again. :)

If you are interested in losing weight while staying healthy , please have a look at juicing. It is especially good for losing water weight as you drink alot, plus you are giving your tummy a rest on a healthy liquid diet.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=284

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2013/...in-5-days-with-jason-vale-s-juicing-diet-plan

It will take a while for your HPA to return to normal after a few months of pred. Be patient and don't do anything stupid. In a few weeks you will start to see better results more likely than not. Keep working hard.

:hug:Don't worry gorgeous! Prednisone will cause you to retain water. When I was on prednisone, I was on it from April until September. I put on almost 20lbs, and on my tiny frame, it really showed, especially on my face. I was also covered with bad zits, worse than I had in high school. When I went off the prednisone, I lost most of the weight within a few months.

Don't worry, keep exercising and eating healthy, and know it's just the med's wrecking havoc. Taking good care of yourself is still important.

The hardest time I had was finding clothes in my closet that I could A) get into and B) not make me look like I had no clue how to dress for my size. Knowing it was temporary, I didn't want to buy clothes, so I spent this summer in ill fitting clothes.

The worst was at the two weddings I went to, especially my hot pink dress, which in the photos really made it look like I didn't know how to dress myself for my size. I spent much of that wedding covered up in my shawl so people couldn't see how bloated I was.

However, while covered in zits, bloated, and ravenous from the meds, I did end up going on a date with a guy I met online. Not only did I gorge myself on sushi, I also accidentally snorted tea out of my nose when he made me laugh. Generally, things not recommended for a first date, but we're still together. He thought I was pretty then, and still does, even with my shiny new surgery scars.

Don't worry, the people who really matter will still love you, and still think your pretty, no matter what the prednisone does to you!