• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Predniscone and sugar levels

Just a question

upon being discharged my nurse took my blood sugar level
now she said that predniscone can cause blood sugar levels too rise

upon checking mine it was low? 4.9 I'd jus finished lunch about half hour b4
she then checked my notes for my levels prior an found they were all in high 4's low 5's
apparently according too her this is way too low
I got an appointment next week with my spec and gp
so I'll ask then but any idea what's normal or safe?

I don't wanna go eatin extra sugar etc if no need

what dangers are there with low levels??

No idea Rob, I thought it raised your levels also, however if you are a bit malnourished from being sick that may bring them down? I expect you feel kinda yuck if levels are too low - have a look up of hypoglycemia and that will give you some ideas.

Normal blood sugars are between 4-7....so to me that means that your pancreas is working properly, creating adequate insulin, and your body is properly using it. I don't think it's anything to worry about, unless sugar #'s are different is Aus.

Here's a website to make you aware of what to look out for with low sugar levels.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

Wow- you guys must work on a different scale or something. Normal blood sugar here in the US is like 100-110 I think.

Cheers tamesis

that's bit scary really, as yea I've noticed quite a few of those symptoms b4, jus never really worried about it
mite be best too see my dr I think
funny thing is I've been tested many a times for diabetes and alwys come back negative

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hey Rob,

Yep here the range is approx 4-7. Sounds like everything is tickety boo with you to be honest.

The only concern with pred is LONG TERM it can cause raised suger levels and as a result lead to a diagnosis of diabetes. In general as Crohnies we are on bumetanide which targets the gut specifically so is less of an impact if we are on a steroid longer term. On the pred front we are on it relatively short term.

To be honest I dont think you have anything to worry about. The only thing I would watch for is if you feel a bit light headed or clammy and gray in colour - could be a sign your blood sugar is a bit low and you need to eat then.

Generally as crohnies we are advised to eat little and often so on the blood sugar front everything is more stable anyway.

Just some thoughts I figured I would chuck out there...

prednizone lowers mine too....i just had mine checked yesterday (on disharge from hospital) and it was 3.8 - no wonder i felt light headed xD

Yea mine was low too upon discharge

I love how they only tell me this upon leaving

I've been having light headedness, occassional dizzy spells, and feeling really tired etc for the last few months since I've been on predniscilone and hydrocortisone
I found havin a coke or somewhat made me feel a bit better so yea I'll def be lookin into this

I've been taking it easy since my release so I'll talk too my doctor asap