• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisolone causing huge apetite

So I am on prednisolone 40mg a day (as far as I can tell this is the same as prednisone?) and all I want to do is eat. It doesn't help that I am currently signed off work and so have access to food 24/7. I am eating upwards of 2500 calories a day and cant seem to differentiate between hunger and boredom signals in my brain. Has anyone else had problems with wanting to eat all the food? Will my apetite reduce as my dosage reduces? Right now I am hoping that once I get back to work I won't have enough time to think about food but also before I was diagnosed I was eating under 1000 calories a day so I don't want to go back to that either.

Hello. About 2 or 3 years ago I was on steroids ( not sure what type ) and I had the same issue, I was very hungry all the time and that is unusual for me as I could easily go a day with nothing to eat so being this hungry was very strange experience. And yes this is normal, one of the side effects of steroids is being hungry and the most common one is "moon face" where your cheeks swell up making your face appear fat. The only thing I can say to help you is when you're hungry try to eat fruit or healthy things rather than sugary things or things high in fat. - Good luck!

Man this is a huge problem for me! I was on steroids for a month just recently but my blockage wasn't completely cleared so I felt like I was starving but if I ate then I suffered terribly with pain.. But yes I get the same where I'm not sure if I'm bored or super hungry from steroids..

Every time I was on Pred, I prayed for a flip top head so I could just tip the fridge towards my mouth. I would have eaten packaging and all, didn't matter. lol

When I was on Pred after my diagnosis, I had a HUGE appetite. I wanted to eat all the time. That, plus the water retention made me gain a decent amount of weight. However, after coming off Pred, my weight went back down to where it was.