• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisolone !!!!

Hi guys im new to the group ive had crohns disease since 1998 approx but didn't get diagnosed until 2007.I was rushed in to hospital with a perforated bowel and abscess I had to have to ops one of them was a right hemicolectomy.Ive been keeping alright up til the past month I has an infection and was put on antibiotics(Fluoxicillan??)which has made me have a flair up and have now been put on prednisolone 30mg for five days then reduce 5mg every 3 days.Anyone else been on prednisolone and if so how was it for you guys?:ybatty:

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
Sorry you have been through that. I am currently on a low doze of Prednisolone and am fine . When I was previously on a high doze for my Crohns, I got the swollen face , felt uncomfortable with that and weight gain. However, that was preferable to suffering pain and all the other symptoms of the illness. You can only taper off these on the advice of your Consultant. It has to be a gradual process according to what is the right maintenance amount for you. I hope I have helped . Best wishes, get well.

Didn't work that well for me as my symptoms were mainly due to a stricture. Bad insomnia though on high doses! Didn't have the trouble with weight gain and moon face though, probably not on it for long enough and was losing weight due to not being able to eat too much.

Interestingly weight gain was one of my main concerns (ironically, now I'm trying to put weight on!) and hence I went on budesonide for a while instead of pred. More expensive but less side effects, didn't notice the insomnia on budesonide. However not suitable for severe Crohn's, only mild to moderate and I'm not sure if just small bowel too so depends where your disease is.

Hopefully you don't experience too many side effects!

I had my crp levels checked and my doctor said I was lucky & cought it before it was bad she said my crp wasn't that bad and had been worse I the past that's maybe why im only on 30mg and reducing every three days but the cramping im getting at the moment is annoying :(

David

Co-Founder
Condit, one thing you may want to look into is supplementing magnesium. They have found that there is a correlation with magnesium deficiency and elevated CRP. And magnesium deficiency is pretty common in people with Crohn's disease.

Hi condit and all - I'm recently diagnosed and currently on Pred at relatively low levels, I started on 35mg reducing 5mg every 5 days, now on 15mg.

Initially I found that it worked and helped with the pain. Now pain is back and and I'm supplementing with over the counter pain killers.

I definitely noticed that my appeitite increased substantially which is a good thing for me as I was loosing weight.