• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone and Crohn's

I was taking Asacol and Entocort but they stopped working for me so now I'm on Prednisone. I've taken 4 doses and I've seen no changes--I'm still feeling very sick from the Crohn's. Anyone know how long it's going to take to make this flare up go away???

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:bigwave: Welcome to the forum. Asacol and Entocort is for mild cases, and Prednisone in higher doses from 40mg and up usually work within 48 hours for most. Depends on how many mgs and the severity. How and when do you take them? I take mine (low dose now) in the earlies morning all at once. It depends on how much you are taking.

Glad you found us, hope you stick around and tell us more about you!

:bigwave: Welcome to the forum. Asacol and Entocort is for mild cases, and Prednisone in higher doses from 40mg and up usually work within 48 hours for most. Depends on how many mgs and the severity. How and when do you take them? I take mine (low dose now) in the earlies morning all at once. It depends on how much you are taking.

Glad you found us, hope you stick around and tell us more about you!
Thanks for the reply. I've been sick with Crohn's for 15 years and just recently diagnosed. I think I'll have to try a higher dose of Pred. Right now I'm taking 40 mg in the AM. I took my first dose on Wednesday and I'm still feeling very sick. =(

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
No change at all? Maybe you need50mg.... you must be in a severe stage. So sorry, try ensure to eat for now, food isnt important but nutrition is. :hang:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi Nicole: I'm so sorry you're not doing well. As Penny said, 48 hours is considered the norm (a pharmacist told me this last week, too). But, it CAN take longer, especially if there is significant inflammation. It took about 5 days for Pred to kick in for me last week. You might want to report back to your doctor if you are not seeing relief in the next couple or few days as an increased dose might be in order (or, it might just be taking its sweet time before starting to work). Hope you're feeling better soon, and welcome to the forum.

No change at all? Maybe you need50mg.... you must be in a severe stage. So sorry, try ensure to eat for now, food isnt important but nutrition is. :hang:
Yeap, it's pretty severe. Intense stomach pain and bloating, stomach growling, I've been to the bathroom between 10-12 times today (ouchhhh!) and I'm also "belching" the really painful, gross smelly burps. Yuck.

Astra

Hiya Nicole

it usually takes about a week to kick in, you're on day 4 now?
give it some time, the effects will be immediate, hopefully
xxxx

I would give a good 7 days and you should start to feel a small change then another week a little better and so on it going to take some time. Hang in there you will feel better soon just going to take sometime. That one thing I have learn with this condition everything takes forever.

On this last round, my D didn't abate until the 8th day of 40mg. Take heart- I am now done with the taper and many symptoms have not returned :)

Quick update-- it took a turn for the worst last night and I went to the ER. I was admitted to the hospital and I'll be here for at least another day. Receiving IV steroids, oral steroids, and pain meds after the CT scan showed exuberant amounts of inflammation. Yuck! =(

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
So sorry Nicole I know you hate being in ER but you may get aggressive treatment to get your flare under control. Inflammation is what causes the pain and leaves behind nasty scar tissue. Your lucky the CT scan showed something because they never show on mine. Rest, relax and get better soon! Maybe surgery might be an avenue you may have to ponder. Keep us posted ok! (( hugs))

Hello,
I have been in a flare for 3 months and I'm seeing the Dr. on Thursday, thank god. I've have been in so much pain, he says we're going to try Remicade. I just wonder why the Prednisone is NOT helping???? I been on it for 3 weeks, It's worse than ever ...:(
:depressed:

So sorry Nicole I know you hate being in ER but you may get aggressive treatment to get your flare under control. Inflammation is what causes the pain and leaves behind nasty scar tissue. Your lucky the CT scan showed something because they never show on mine. Rest, relax and get better soon! Maybe surgery might be an avenue you may have to ponder. Keep us posted ok! (( hugs))
I'm out of the hospital-- thanks for the e-thoughts!! =) I'm feeling better but my stomach still hurts. They sent me home with anti-biotics, pain meds, and they're tapering Prednisone for me but starting with a higher dose than what I was taking (starting at 60 mg for three days, then 40mg, then 20mg, etc). Surgery is a route I am definitely interested in. But I'm pretty sure the doctor wants to try other routes first. Hmmm. I guess it won't hurt to bring it up to him when I go see him on Friday.