• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone and CT Scan

Hi, I am about to have a CT scan this morning at 8.30 I am currently not allowed to eat anything until then. I know that I am not supposed to take my Metformin (for diabetes); but I forgot to check the prednisone. I take 8 tabs with my breakfast. So do I take 8 tabs at normal time with no food? Or do I wait till about 10 am when I am finished and get some food and take them then?

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Aura,
Your question is a good one but it is one that your doctor should help you with.
Alternatively you could call radiology and ask them.
Sorry I cannot help you with this question it needs an expert.
Let us know how everything goes for you.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes Trysha

I will take them with me as I have to drink the barium before hand from 8.30 to 9.30 - My mind and gut are telling me it would be very unwise to take 8 pred on an empty stomach - they knock me out on a full one. I will ask them as soon as I get there as I am the first appointment for the day, thanks Trysha

Thanks David, I appreciate the advice from you and Trysha. I will do, now just got the barium drink to look forward too - block your nose and swallow and pretend its something else like a nice smoothie

Ok, it's all done - I drunk the yucky stuff, had the CT with contrast - my vein was being naughty - but came to the party in the end. I had my chest xray and I got my bloods done, this time the other vein was naughty - was a surprise. I got my CD's of xrays and scan but the scan CD is corrupt so I can not see any pretty pictures of my insides. The docs will have the results tomorrow. I will have to phone the radiology and get them to burn another disc for me.

I have had a sleep for 2 hours now as I was tired after the outings - and having to hold back on the morning meds and pred until I could have some food. It was the right thing to do. Thank you David and Trysha for your help this morning.

Trysha

Staff member
Cheers! Aura,
Good that part of it is all finished and you can relax a little.
How long is it before your follow up with the GI?
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha.

I have a colonoscopy with him on Monday afternoon, followed by my first dose of humira if I get the government approval. I should find out about the approval tomorrow. The CT scan showed inflammation in small bowel; no strictures or obstructions - but I have been working real hard at keeping my bowels working with 2 shot glassess of lactulose a day - I am a constipated crohnnie - all the lab and tec people seem to assume that all crohnnies are diahorrea based and dont seem to know much about constipated crohnnies. At least my GI gets it and I keep reminding him as well. I am still losing weight - even with a full colon, it's funny when they look at a full colon and say everything is normal - is it? With 2 shots of lactulose - it still doesnt want to come out?? My metabolism has really slowed down. I am still moderate neutrophillia with my blood tests. It just a pity that the colonoscopy wont reach the small bowel as that is where my problems seem to be.

They also said I need an ultrasound on my ovaries. I have PCOS but it looks like they are playing up. My ovaries are like pitted golf balls. I do wonder at what point they will take them out? I am 40 now