• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone and hair

I'm tapering off Prednisone(currently at 20mg) after being on it since October, and I have a few questions.

1. My hair is thinning all over on top. Doctor says he has never heard of this(ya right?), but a simple google search says otherwise. Did you guys also experience hair loss? It seems like I'm losing more now that I'm cutting down rather than when I was steady at 60mg.

2. Hair texture. My hair is dry and straw looking. Anyone else experience this? Will it go back to normal after the prednisone is out of my system?

I've been on pred since june of 2010. I have had hair loss and hair thinning. I have visible bald spots. I haven't been off the pred yet but my guess would be that once its out of your blood system then the hair will return (I hope)

I've been on pred since june of 2010. I have had hair loss and hair thinning. I have visible bald spots. I haven't been off the pred yet but my guess would be that once its out of your blood system then the hair will return (I hope)
What about the texture? Is it dry and straw like?

Yes. It was horrible at one point. Then I switched shampoo/conditioners and it seems to help quite a bit. I use rusk now because its completely chemical free.

Yes, I've had straw-like texture and handfulls of hair fall out because of prednisone. The straw-like texture improved when I stopped using shampoos that have Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. It is a detergent type ingredient that makes shampoo, body wash, toothpaste suds up.

I switched to Burt' Bees Shampoo and used Dove Intensive conditioner,and it really helped. As for the falling out, you can use Rogaine for this;that was my GI's suggestion but I didn't try it.

For me these symptoms were temporary and improved as I tapered, hope this helps!

ameslouise

Haven't had the straw-like hair, but have had the hair on my head fall out in gobs and the hair on my face grow like fu-man-chu.

Ugh.

Mine took maybe a month after prednisone was finished. My hair grew back right away; you can take Biotin as a supplement to speed it up.