• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone , can it help IBS ?

prednisone , can it help IBS ?

ok daft question can prednisone help ibs in any way , ive looked into how this drug works and im just looking for a bit of assistance , i have been taking this for a week and a half and i love it !!!! i cant belive how well its worked nearly normal poo , no pain, bleeding ect... my question is could i still have IBS and could this be working on this to make this better ?? i wouldnt have thought so as i am thinking IBS is a functional thing ?? x

my ct scan came back and showed i had liver cysts anyone else had these ??

i have posted this in undiagnosed too as i currently am

any help be lovely x

Prednisone works on inflammation. IBS is, as you say, functional (no inflammation involved).

So no, pred won't work on IBS. If it works for you, it is strong evidence that you have something along the lines of Crohn's or colitis.

Yes I agree with Rebecca steroids work on inflammation hence the fact they can improve your joint pain also etc although they might make you feel a bit euphoric if you had ibs only they are unlikely to help your actual bowel function with IBS so it would suggest yours is more likely to be IBD. I haven't got liver cysts but have def heard of them in some people. Hope someone else can help you with that.

I know that steroids can calm alot things down and is used primarily in treating inflammation. As far as it helping with IBS, I am not sure. Currently to date doctors have no clue what IBS actually is. You can have mild inflammation that does not show up and cannot always be seen so easily. Some people will get colonoscopies and have mild inflammation but test neg for any diseases or infections and the docs will just say IBS if they cannot figure out what it is. Or another reasoning that steroids would help IBS is that you have another chronic inflammatory disorder somewhere else in the body that is casuing the IBS, hence you take the steriod and it calms down the culprit and so the IBS symptoms get better. Just a thought....