• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone decrease question...

I was on 20mg of pred for about 2 months while I got situated with Remicade. I had my third remicade treatment last Monday and lowered the dosage of prednisone to 15mg the next day. Remicade made me crazy tired on Monday and this past week, I haven't been feeling all that wonderful... draggy, diarrhea, more pain in more places, still have insomnia, and am still somewhat crazy and compulsive, so it seems like the prednisone is still at work but im wondering if the decrease is what is causing this flarelike situation and if so, will my GI make me stay on the prednisone? I can't do that forever right? Could it be the remicade kicking in? Im also on entocort while I decrease the prednisone.

Im supposed to drop to 10mg this Tuesday.

All thoughts are appreciated...

Good luck on your pred course. Sounds like you are tolerating it well. I hope you step down calmly. Can you take a med to take the edge off the pred? Ask your doc about it. Describe the agitation and your worries.
Peace,
Eppie

ameslouise

Maybe you need to step down by 2.5 instead of 5 to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doc and see what s/he recommends.

Good luck - hope you start feeling better soon! -Amy

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Yeah, I second what Ames said.
You could also ask to stay on whatever amount you are at for two weeks instead of one, before you taper again.

I have been put on 2.5mg tapers as I got worse when I reduced with 5mg drops. I've just gone down from 20mg which I have been on for ages and now on 17.5mg for 1 month with 4 weekly drops of 2.5mg...well thats the plan. Been at 17.5mg for 1 week now and so far so good.May be worth your asking your gi about slower/smaller drops.

Thanks everyone! I think im more concerned about having to go back on it for long periods of time. Or, im curious about what's going to happen next. I started entocort a little over a week ago and it isn't doing anything for me at this point. Im wondering when that is going to kick in. Im also waiting the the remicade to kick in as well.. I feel I can handle the taper on the current schedule, but the fact that symptoms are coming right back doesn't bode well for the prednisone working. I wonder if my ilium is too far gone and they should just scoop it out or something.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Entocort can take a little while to kick in - usually anywhere from a week or two, up to a month. I know that for me it took about 9 days for me to feel a difference, and for others on here it has taken longer. So give the Entocort a little more time to work, it doesn't kick in as fast as pred does.