• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone down to 10mgs, already flaring back up

I have been on Prednisone for a while now.

40mgs x10 days, 30mgs x10 days, 20mgs x 10 days, now 10mgs- I am three days in on the 10 mugs.

So before i went onto the Pred I caught the flu. At the same time I started having
low back pain, hip pain, and while sitting it feels like my "tail bone " is bruised. A new bone scan showed minimal changes. This is my second round of steroids since Nov. when I ended my disability leave from work. So I am back out on disability.

Also had GI symptoms ( will spare you the details on that ), so Prednisone it was.

For the last 2 days I have had the back pain, hip pain, very painful urgency, cramping and running to the bathroom 8-10 times a day.

I am on Remicade last infusion, 2 weeks ago tomorrow.

Any ideas? Any suggestions? The back pain and hip pain are the symptoms that I question the most. At a loss there, I must be missing something!!

thank you

Lauren

Have you seen a rheumatologist? Also, once after the flu, I was thrown into a flare. You may have to go back on a higher dose of prednisone. Let us know how you are.

my little penguin

Staff member
Second the Rheumo
SpA doesn't show on imaging but does cause pain stiffness etc

Also we found for ds the first two days of wean are the worst when stepping down
You may need a slower wean

But given the increase in GI stuff you may just not be ready to go that low

Definitely call your Gi and see a Rheumo

I saw a Rheumo in the fall. He had X-rays taken and said he say no inflammatory changes. Gave me a prescription for an anti inflammatory and sent mean my way.

Ok then, why does my lower back and hips, shoulders and feet feel better while on prednisone? I have also had two bone density scans. They both showed a few "holes"
in the bones. Last year I thought the nurse told me it was a sign of SpA?? I guess
I was wrong on that. Also my fingers are becoming deformed. At the first knuckle, which
means its not RA. i think...

I don't have much hope on blood work, its just weird, with all three of my kids my pre tests were negative until I was far enough along to hear their heartbeat. I was working for a Dr and he had me do them every other day. Blood and urine tests. He could not believe I was
starting to show and negative lab work. Its just how I roll!

I spoke to my GI nurse today she will get back with me tomorrow.

All I know is the back/hip pain wake me up at night, and I spend the first 3/4 of the day going between the bathroom and the bathtub.

And people tell me they are jealous I am on short term disability! Well, I wish I were healthy!

If anything comes to mind let me know, then I can email my nurse!!
Lauren