• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone & my long fingernails

prednisone & my long fingernails

do u think its the prednisone thats getting my fingernails to grow @ such a fast rate.
i am currently on 20mg daily.
i have never had my nails so long & strong.

I have been on 40 mgs a day now for about 4 months or so and I can't say I've noticed any big change in my nails. I constantly file, bleach, buff, and polish my nails also so if there is a change maybe I am just not picking up on it. Good question tho, can't waite to come back and see if someone has a true answer.

I have no idea, but do you think maybe it could be because you are absorbing nutrients better while on the pred?

When it comes to hair once again I cant give much input due to haveing so much of it LMAO! But yuh, I do shed like a dog, I should be bald when I think about it, but I haven't even noticed it so much as thinning. *shrugz*

My finger nails grow fast also but my hair has been shedding for
months now. At this rate it is so fine I will be bald by age 50
mRae85 I used to have hair like yours a couple of decades ago.

My hair litterally breaks brushes.... I usually buy a new brush every month or 2 just because the thing flys apart my hair is thick, curly, and really long, so when combined.... I could beifiet from the shedding if I noticed it. I have how ever been keeping an eye on this, my fingernails do seem to be growing a bit faster than what they used to.

I've noticed that my fingernails grow faster and are much stronger too since I started on Pred. They usually break pretty easily. Now they're really strong. Hmmm......I finally found a benefit. I'd rather be 40 pounds lighter than have good fingernails though. Ha ha!

Oh -- and I think my hair grows faster and is thicker too. Hmmm........still would rather be 40 pounds lighter...............:lol: