• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone or Pentasa side effect?

I started 30mg if prednisone today along with pentasa. For the first time in months I haven't had abdominal pain! Hooray! Except I have felt quite nauseous and my legs, knees and hips are aching. Are these known side effects attributed to either of these?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
In all honesty those symptoms could be caused by either of those medications. Hopefully they won't last though. Sometimes side effects may go away over time. Try eating something before you take them to see if that helps with the nausea. As for the aches, try a heating pad, warm bath and/or Tylenol. Keep us posted on how you're doing. I'm glad the abdominal pain has subsided. :)

Thanks Jennifer. It's now almost midnight and I can't sleep (surprise surprise lol). It's literally been only one dose of pred (30mg) and I'm not feeling great! I'm attributing it all to that but I guess a few days will tell more. I have a headache, , keep feelinh like I need to go to the toilet and haven't gone all day - going from diarrhea 6-8 times a day, this is screwing with my body lol.
My heart rate seems higher too. It's at 105 resting. Definitely not feeling like myself. Fingers crossed it passes soon!

Prednisone makes me nauseous. I take Gravol (Dimenhydrinate) and ginger helps too. Your body will adjust and get used to it. Better than having to run to the bathroom all day. :ghug:

Not sure I've seen it mentioned here, but being on Prednisone elevated my mood and gave me energy. I would get up early on Saturday and have four or five loads of laundry out on the line by 9 am during the summer. And it made me almost jubilant. Maybe give it a few days?

I was on Pentasa for 15 years or more with no obvious effects, as long as I avoided milk. Sometimes I would use small doses of Metamucil to calm my system down. It would also give me a noticeable improvement in my sense of well being (a hard thing to actually describe).

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Prednisone can increase your heart rate so just keep a watch on it especially if you already have heart problems or high blood pressure. This is one of the few medications that you can't stop taking suddenly between after taking it for 7-10 days so be sure to taper off of it and contact your doctor if the symptoms become intolerable. Some people also mentioned that taking it in the morning may help with the insomnia.

Thanks everyone. I have felt a bit better today so fingers crossed it isn't long lasting. Yup I take it in the morning.