• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone poll

I was wondering if someone really familiar with prednisone could set up a poll for me (dont know how :biggrin:)
My doc wants me to go on it and I am freaked out about the side effects...moon face et al...
anyhow, I dont know all the side effects but I thought it would be interesting to know how many people experience the side effects and which ones...
I cut and pasted these from wikipedia. I dont know how many can be included so change it however you like... add, remove some. I have never been on it so I am really curious as to what to expect. THANK-YOU :D
Anyhow, if someone is willing to set this up for me I would be grateful

Major
increased blood sugar for diabetics
difficulty controlling emotion
difficulty in maintaining train of thought
weight gain
facial swelling
depression, mania, psychosis, or other psychiatric symptoms
unusual fatigue or weakness
mental confusion / indecisiveness
blurred vision
abdominal pain
peptic ulcer
infections
painful hips or shoulders
steroid-induced osteoporosis
osteonecrosis
long-term migraines
insomnia
severe joint pain
cataracts or glaucoma
anxiety
black stool
stomach pain or bloating
severe swelling
mouth sores or dry mouth
avascular necrosis
hepatic steatosis

Minor
nervousness
acne
rash
increased appetite
hyperactivity
frequent urination
explosive diarrhea
removes intestinal flora
leg pain/cramps
sensitive teeth

For me, when I first start it usually sensitive teeth, increased appetite and frequent urination.

That's about it. Hopefully it stays that way. :D

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've taken it 4 times throughout my 20 years of having Crohn's and the side effects I had always varied (most likely due dosage but also because I was still growing up at the time). What are your symptoms? Why does the doctor want you on Prednisone and not some other steroid? What dose do they want you on?

It can be a very helpful drug in reducing inflammation but as with ALL medications there are side effects. Will you get all of the side effects listed? Good heavens no. Will you have any side effects? Maybe, maybe not. Do the side effects last the whole time? Some do and some don't and again, the side effects that you do have depend on the amount of Prednisone you're taking. Higher doses increase the possibility of side effects and can make some side effects stronger.

You seemed mainly concerned about the "moon face" side effect. Why? Its cosmetic and doesn't last forever and does go away after you taper. I highly doubt you'll see any mooning at 20mg or below. I had to deal with it in grade school and high school. I even had a guy ask me out during that time. He didn't care.

For me, if the side effects aren't forever, then the drug is ok in my opinion. Unless I can't function then we try a different drug. If I had to take Prednisone again then I would because that would mean that I'm really sick and my life is far more important than any side effects.

That poll you want made I don't think can happen cause you can only check off one option. People tend to have more than one side effect on this drug and some of the things aren't even listed. I think its better for you to hear about what others went through while being on it and if they think it was worth it. I haven't shared with you what I went through but I have already admitted that it was worth it. I'm one of the people on the forum who was close to dying from CD because I hadn't been diagnosed yet. Prednisone literally saved my life. There's much more to tell though. Ask away if you like.

I dont really have reservations about taking it. I will take it because I need some help with my symptoms and they have been ruling out what it isnt... My GI has the reservations as he wants to put me on high doses. My brother has both UC and Crohns and is on the wait list for a liver transplant. Unfortunately pred is really hard on the liver since the liver filters it and although I dont have any issues with my liver now...he doesnt want to cause any. He also said it is a powerful drug with nasty side effects and wants to spare me from those... I am waiting the results of my biopsies. He wants me on pred and not another one because he doesnt think another one will work. He said it would help with inflammation.
My symptoms are pain in right and left pelvic area, severe fatigue, nausea, on a liquid diet, 2 strictures in my jejunem and thickening of my small bowel. I also have major rashes on my hands and the back of my knees, eye problems, back problems, D and C; both..weight loss and...I am now on a liquid diet. I have also just been diagnosed with endometriosis. I dont know what dose - he just said a high dose...whatever that is
I know that drugs all come with side- effects and I know that I wont get all of the side effects which is why I wanted the poll. I wanted to know the majority and the likelihood of getting the side-effects. I brought up the issue of moon face because that seems to be the issue with a lot of women on here and I can understand why that would be an unpleasant side-effect.

the poll is up. You can check more than one option. Not everything is listed but Im not really expecting a "perfect poll" I am only wanting a space where people can tell me their side effects and from a poll, what the likelyhood of the side effects are... drug companies carry these studies all the time..I am only wanting to do a mini one amongst crohns patients. Some people have stated it was worth it and some say it wasnt... there are soo many threads on prednisone...I was only wanting one re: side effects. I do find one common thread between a lot of people who have taken it is they would never take it again and they are so glad it is over...so ya..perhaps reading that does make me a little reserved... I am still willing to try it though..

Hi Keona
I'm afraid I'm on of those who will only take it when necessary. :) BUT when I first took it, my god, I loved the stuff. Energy, food, having a life :O No aches or pains, no nausea, no anything (Well not that far but you get my drift!) I was on a very high dose in hospital then I went on 40mg at home, tapering down. I have been on 80mg at home as well, depending on my symptoms etc...
But, even though I am on the stuff now :( I will usually avoid it at all costs now. Mainly because of the side effects. I got arthritis from taking it on and off (more on than off) for 3 years straight. Had a bone density scan but that's ok so I can still take it :/
My symptoms that I can think of -
from 2.5mg to 20mg... Dry skin, dry mouth, dandruff, a bad taste in my mouth, excessive sweating, insomnia, sometimes increased hunger, sometimes decreased hunger, mood swings like mad!!!, increased peeing, aching joints... (probably more but that's all I can think that I'm going through now on 20mg)
20mg +.... All of the above and the moon face, more of an increased appetite, head aches, migraines, receding gums, sensitive teeth, the tire around the waist and ankles (which is excess water, not fat! Most of the time :D), mood swings are a lot more pronounced.. I can control them more on less mgs, umm that's all I can think of at the moment.
But sadly you have to think, do the benefits out weight the risks, more times than not, Pred does! You shouldn't be on it long term so what's a few weeks of discomfort for maybe years of remission?? That's how I see it when I am that ill, though I won't ever go on a higher does than 20mgs anymore :D Unless I have it through IV at the hospital. Then I have no choice :(
I hope you get better soon xxx

im on them now trying to get off, im at 30 mg right now coming from 40.. im tapering it slow even thought i have gained weight and i have the moon face.. but i rather those than the pain it self from crohns.. atleast with this i can funtion everyday.. im not planning on going back on these things once the 6mp kicks in and once i have successfully ween off of them... i thought i would of flared badly coming from 35 to 30 but im doing good thank god.. and next week weening 5mg more to 25..

prednisone is a love hate drug but i will not be going back on them till its absolutely needed.. i been on them to long in my book..

Astra

Hiya Wendy

I hadn't even heard of Pred before I was hospitalised last January, so therefore I took it 'blind'
When my consultant said I was to start on it, I didn't blink an eyelid, cos I didn't know what it was.
Anyway, this drug saved my life. I avoided surgery cos of it. I was told I nearly died.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back on it.
I was on it for nearly 11 months, and this included upping it, lowering it and so on.
I got the moonface, the weight gain, insomnia and increased appetite. But ya know what? I didn't care. I felt better and it healed me. When I came off it I had terrible joint pain, and went on Entocort and Amitriptyline to combat this. It worked.
Here I am 16months later and in remission.
Taking Pred and all it's side effects was a small price to pay to be healed and I still remain surgery free.
Also, please bear in mind that I was taking Prednisolone NOT Prednisone. There is a difference, and the difference is that Prednisone is converted into Prednisolone via the liver, hence the minimal side efects that I encounted.
This is something that you could discuss with your doc, I know that here in the UK we have Prednisolone not Prednisone.
Anyway, it's your shout, all you can do is try it, if you don't like it, come off it, simples!
I actually loved it!
Good luck
xxx

ameslouise

Hi Wendy - Ahhh, pred. We love to hate it and hate to love it. Below is your list and a yes or not to whether I had the side effect or not.

I started at 40 mg and stayed there for a few months, so it took me the balance of a year to wean off. Three months later I went back on, started at 20 mg and took 3 months to wean off.

increased blood sugar for diabetics - NO
difficulty controlling emotion - YES
difficulty in maintaining train of thought - YES
weight gain - NO (I stopped eating meat and all processed food at same time, actually lost weight)
facial swelling -NO
depression, mania, psychosis, or other psychiatric symptoms - "SLIGHT" MANIA
unusual fatigue or weakness - NO
mental confusion / indecisiveness - NO
blurred vision - NO
abdominal pain - NO
peptic ulcer - YES. CONTROLLED WITH PRILOSEC
infections - NO
painful hips or shoulders - NO
steroid-induced osteoporosis - NO SIGNS OF IT AS OF NOW
osteonecrosis - NO
long-term migraines - NO
insomnia - NO
severe joint pain- ONLY WHEN TAPERING
cataracts or glaucoma - NO
anxiety - YES. WENT ON CELEXA TO COMBAT
black stool - NO
stomach pain or bloating - NO
severe swelling - NO
mouth sores or dry mouth - NO
avascular necrosis - NO
hepatic steatosis - NO

nervousness - NO
acne - YES, ON MY BUTT! PRETTY, RIGHT?
rash - NO
increased appetite - NO
hyperactivity - NO
frequent urination - NO
explosive diarrhea - NO
removes intestinal flora - NO
leg pain/cramps - NO
sensitive teeth - NO

Good luck! - Amy

If you haven't been on pred before, it might be worth it for you. It worked beautifully for me for the first couple years of my Crohn's. Now, I seem to have basically developed a resistance to the benefits of it, but still get the acne, sore joints, disturbed sleep. Not worth it anymore.

I have been on pred more times than I can count, but I also have been put on it specifically against my wishes. In the hospital February 2010 a doc put me on it even after I specifically told her no. Pred is listed on my allergy list, but she put me on it when I was knocked out on morphine. Grrrr! I'm still dealing with 50 extra pounds and my entire body has serious issues with any extra weight.

And while I took three or four things off the list, I've had to deal with all remain listed and have never had even the slightest of positive effects from it. I was diagnosed thirty years ago and they tried it over and over. Actually, when I was 8 years old, weighing in at 38lbs, they had me on 150mg of pred a day. So I don't have any kind words or thoughts toward this medication.

Major
difficulty controlling emotion
difficulty in maintaining train of thought
weight gain
facial swelling
depression, mania, psychosis, or other psychiatric symptoms
unusual fatigue or weakness
mental confusion / indecisiveness
blurred vision
abdominal pain
peptic ulcer
infections
painful hips or shoulders
steroid-induced osteoporosis
long-term migraines
insomnia
severe joint pain
cataracts or glaucoma
anxiety
black stool
stomach pain or bloating
severe swelling
mouth sores or dry mouth
avascular necrosis

Minor
nervousness
acne
rash
increased appetite
hyperactivity
frequent urination
explosive diarrhea
removes intestinal flora
leg pain/cramps
sensitive teeth

I've just finished tapering off Prednisolone for the very first time, and I have to say, despite my many reservations, it worked absolute wonders for me.

Yes, it did have a few side effects (very minor in my case) — principally an every so slightly rounded, fatter face (moon-face).

The list of *possible* side effects is long, but as we all know, different people have very different responses to medication — so for you it may be unproblematic.

I found the following link useful...

http://www.cop-boop.org.uk/steroid_use_&_effects.htm

Tony.

Last edited: