• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone question

prednisone question

have been on 40mg pred a day for almost a yr. docs just upped it to 60mg a day. can anyone give me ideas to stop the shaking.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Wow that is a long time on Pred!! Then upping it? I get the shakes too, best thing is not to drink coffee or any caffeine, chocolate. Makes it intensify. Have you not been on any biologics? Are you aware of the long term affects of Pred? It is a love/hate drug, works but side effects are sometimes not worth it. I drink lots of water too, helps a bit. Hang in there. Keep us updated!

ameslouise

Hi Carey and welcome. Wow, that is a lot for a long time! Are you on any other meds, or searching for a long-term drug?

I don't have any advice for the shaking but just wanted to say good luck!

- Amy

a yr ago my state insurance got cut off cause me and hubby moved to a cheaper area. was on remicade. for the last yr i have been fighting with docs and insurance companies to get back on treatment. i finally got on medicade. the docs upped my dose cause i was recently hospitilized, for 3 days they gave me 125mg shots of pred every 6 hrs. after a yr of being off remicade they finally put me back on. my doc isnt going to take me off the pred till the remicade starts working. i hate this stuff. it seems like i get all the side effects and none of the benefits. you could say its been a real rough yr. sorry for the long winded answer, havent had anyone to talk to that knows what im going thru.

Can they not think of any other drugs? That's plain dangerous. Think about your bones, your adrenals and all the hormonal changes. I really feel for you. I can only wish you good luck as I can't give you any advice on how to stop the shakes. Hang in there.

When I was 8 years old (38lbs), I was on 180mg of prednisone/day. I have no teeth that are my own (though the ones I have now are beautiful), have broken a number of bones, my toes break regularly when stubbed, have heart issues, eye issues, skin issues, am now 40lbs over weight because I have prednisone forced on me when I wasn't capable of saying no and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm one of the biggest proponents against prednisone for Crohns, especially now that there's a number of other ways to treat it - there wasn't when I was 8. I'm sorry if I'm coming off pushy or snippy, but prednisone is not a long term medication and shouldn't be treated as such. That you've been on it for so long and they're upped your done is very scary. That you have the shakes is a hint that this isn't the right med for you.

Please, please talk to your doctor about different forms of treatment.

i just want to thank everyone for replying so quickly. was telling my husband how awesome it is too have a network of people that know what im going thru. when i first got diagnosed the docs told me to join a support group. and i laughed at the idea. man, i had no idea just how much i would need this. didnt realize all the crap i was going to go thru. anyway thanks.

can not believe you have been on it that long, I have been on it about six times in the past 15 yrs and i wish i hadnt i have also lost teeth and have also been diagnosed with arthritis in my spine, I have not been on it for about six years, i do remeber getting the shakes and dont think anything helped, hope yr taking yr calci chew!

I remember when I was on it, I did not get the shakes, but my cheeks blew up like a chipmunk...when I finally got off of it, it took me 8 weeks, went from 8 pills a day for a week, then 7/day for a week and so on...the problem with predinosone is that I felt great while on it, but knew that problems that it causes the body with prolong use.