• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone questions!

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask you all how long pred has taken to work for you? I'm on day 10, felt not too bad for the first few days apart from insomnia and heartburn, had the first taper from 40mg to 35mg on Friday and felt like complete and utter shite Saturday and Sunday....so dissapointing! Feeling a bit better today ( Monday) but not as good as I'd hoped, appetite is still struggling and feeling completely wiped out, shaky and weak and Definitly getting that storing my nuts for winter look, chubby cheeks!

How does the pred work for you guys?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I don't think Prednisone really worked for Matt at all. He had underlying issues with 2 fistula's and abscesses and all it did was mask the symptoms. He didn't really develop the classic side effects and felt no different on it to when he was off it.

He started on 40mg and finished his taper after 8 weeks, he had a couple of 5 day bouts IV Hydrocortisone in that time as well.

Dusty. xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I'm no good with this question either. My son was put on Asacol for a few weeks prior to pred and was really feeling mostly well when his taper started.

Pred works really well for me. When I get put on during a flare it takes me about 2 hours to respond. I feel like a different person. That's going straight to 40mg. One thing my doc always says, though, is not to begin the taper until you feel better. Is it possible you starting tapering too soon?

I have been on it since october and it took about 2 weeks for any change. When I reduced below 20 mg my symptoms kept recurring so eventually I was pit on azathioprine. Since then I have reduced my pred but last week had to have my aza increased again as after the last pred reduction I was unwell again. I think most people respond within a couple of weeks on pred but you may need a slower taper or additional meds if you are unwell with a quicker taper.

I have been on it since october and it took about 2 weeks for any change. When I reduced below 20 mg my symptoms kept recurring so eventually I was pit on azathioprine. Since then I have reduced my pred but last week had to have my aza increased again as after the last pred reduction I was unwell again. I think most people respond within a couple of weeks on pred but you may need a slower taper or additional meds if you are unwell with a quicker taper.
Hi littlemissh,
I think the plan is to start me on aza when I next see him in a couple of weeks by which time I'll be on 20mgs...thanks for all the advice think I'll hang in there and see what happens, feeling a bit better today again, yay!