• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone Side Effects Poll

Which Prednisone side effects do you *typically* experience?

• Weight gain

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • High blood pressure (hypertension)

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • "Moon face"

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Increased appetite

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Excess hair growth (hirsutism)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Extra energy, feeling "really good" (hypomania)

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Negative mood states (sadness, anger)

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Restlessness or nervousness (anxiety)

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Stretch marks on abdomen

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Other

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
A poll attempt for Crabby Relish.

Edit: ...er, for Keona!

Last edited:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Sorry, I should not have included "restlessness" in the anxiety category as it is also similar to the hypomania option. :rosette1:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha, I love polls (I know I am weird lol) I gain weight but for some reason I dont get a huge appetite, probably cause I know better, I already have stretch marks, comes from having a kid and up and down weight problems. :yfaint:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Penny, when I saw someone for acupuncture, she kept asking how many children I have...zero, zero...she found that hard to believe because the stretch marks from Pred are so ghastly!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
That is politically incorrect now to ask about having children... and stretch marks can be from other reasons.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
A poll attempt for Crabby Relish.
It was for Keona not me. :p

Edit: In the poll I picked "other" because I've experienced many different side effects and have been on many different doses, each with different side effects.

Thank-you Entchen,
it should be interesting to see the results.
Entchen and Penny
I see a lot of bodybuilders at the gym with a lot of stretch marks... they are mostly males and Im with you... that was not very politically correct :)

Crabby, I think that is why *typically* was mentioned in the poll question.
:D

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
All the ones I'm listing below were typical for me.

The highest I was ever on was 75mg (that was before my surgery). Other high doses I was on were usually 50mg. With those doses my side effects were (that I can recall):

Increase in appetite
Weight gain
Water retention (includes moon face, hump back, and stretch marks on my thighs)
Irritability
Depression
Mood swings
Increased heart rate
Insomnia
Eye pressure (from the water retention)

There could be more but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. Lower doses don't normally bring on these more extreme side effects or they will at least be less severe.

Oh yes, I forgot about the insomnia. But what about side effects AFTER you get off of it....I feel like I have the flu on and off for up to 2 months (depending on how long I was on it to begin with), joint pain, and nasty headaches.....and the weight, yeah that sucks. It sure doesn't fall off as quick as it goes on!

aliciars
did you gain the weight because your appetite increased and ate more or just because the drug just made you gain weight? I am asking b/c I am wondering if weight gain is inevitable (depending on mg of course) I guess I am wondering if the drug works and make me feel better enough to exercise if that would help.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
You gain weight from both water retention and from possibly over eating (and bad food choices). As far as feeling good enough to exercise, that depends on the person and what side effects you're experiencing. If you deal with the depression like I did, having the motivation to exercise wasn't there. Not that weight gain is going to be a huge issue. For some people its a God send to gain ANY weight. :p

Oooohh, I didn't know "eye pressure" was a side effect from Pred. I have had it so much latey and couldn't figure what drug it was coming from. It's not a dibilitating problem, but it's certainly annoying. Glad to find the source of the pressure.

I've managed to maintain my 110lb weight on 40mgs, but my belly looks like I'm 7 months pregnant. I'm guessing that's the water weight, or "apple belly" as I have heard it called. I do get the moon face and buffalo hump, so why not add in an apple belly while I'm at it? Grrrr. Thankfully, no stretch marks...yet.

I have to say that everytime I'm on Pred, the side effects tend to be different. Last 6 month stint, I was Mrs Raging McMeanypants. I learned to deal with that after alienating a lot of people. This trip down Pred Alley has taught me a few lessons. Use every bit of energy to your advantage while you still have it. I also learned that Ambien is my nightime friend, Works wonders. And perhaps I have matured a little in that I can recognize and restrain my raging moments so not dcare away my loved one's.

its SUCH A LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP!

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
aliciars
did you gain the weight because your appetite increased and ate more or just because the drug just made you gain weight? I am asking b/c I am wondering if weight gain is inevitable (depending on mg of course) I guess I am wondering if the drug works and make me feel better enough to exercise if that would help.
Hi Keona! I hope the poll works for you! My GI says that you can gain weight from eating the same amount of calories as usual, although GP claims that isn't true. I didn't have the chance to find out because I was so darn hungry, lol. I did exercise like a fiend, but I gained quite a lot of weight.

I didnt exactly gain weight, Although the scale was at the same kilos for the whole time, I developed a huge double chin and generally felt plump.

But the HAIR ewwww I almost looked like the bearded lady.

The only ucommom side effect I had was that my face rash tottaly cleared while I was on pred. My face looked clear and shiny but I did not have moon face.

Other than that I had none of the above side effects. The doctor told me to substitute sugar and salt in my diet (I tottaly stopped eating sugar or honey or artificial sweeteners and I was using a salt substitute with 75% less natrium) Other than that I was fine, the pred took care of the inflamation within a day or two and I felt like a new person. But I was on pred for only three months, maybe if it was a longer time I would have had all the other symptoms as well.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Oooohh, I didn't know "eye pressure" was a side effect from Pred. I have had it so much latey and couldn't figure what drug it was coming from. It's not a dibilitating problem, but it's certainly annoying. Glad to find the source of the pressure.
Back when I was on it I had my eyes checked every now and then (honestly I forget how often) to make sure the Prednisone wasn't causing any damage which could lead to glasses and possibly other complications (its been a long time since I've looked up that info though so I don't know what other complications it can cause off the top of my head).

I'm only on 20g at the moment and after a week, I've experienced the insomnia but also a spaced out kind of detatched feeling ( was discussing that in another thread. ) Partially due I'm sure to lack of sleep.

do they slowly work people up to the correct dose or they just start you off on the amount they want you at?

Not sure Keona, it's the first time I've been on it :) I've just been diagnosed and am waiting to see a consultant to discuss how to manage it. My GP put me on the Pred cos my symptoms have been gradually worsening and my bloods showed signs of inflammation. She didn't want to put me on too high a dose at first and so I can taper off them in the month's wait to see the consultant.

Back when I was on it I had my eyes checked every now and then (honestly I forget how often) to make sure the Prednisone wasn't causing any damage which could lead to glasses and possibly other complications (its been a long time since I've looked up that info though so I don't know what other complications it can cause off the top of my head).
EEK! I should NOT have googled "prednisone and eye pressure". Apparently Glaucoma is a side effect. Oh well, it's time for my yearly eye exam anyway, I suppose I'll just go in sooner rather than later.....

Anyone get nosebleeds (epistaxis?). I have noticed when I blow my nose the snot is bloody for the last while, and sometimes I randomly get the taste of blood in my mouth. Today my nose actually started bleeding and I realized the timing corresponds with me taking Prednisone. A Google search didn't show any connection or list it as a side effect.

I'm currently on 17.5mg and I experience the following things whilst taking Prednisolone..

Increase in appetite (I don't think there is ever a time where I don't feel hungry.)
Weight gain (I was only 45kg when I was diagnosed, but I think I've put on a bit since then. Not liking the fat around my tummy!)
Water retention (Moon face, and I can notice the back of my shoulders are a bit chubby as well..)
Mood swings
Insomnia

Gosh, can't wait to get off this stuff!