• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone

Don't want to seem like I am moaning but I am throwing this out there in hope someone may of had the same. I am getting really down and after a year of tests, weight loss, abscess (hospitalized with that) low fibre diets and general unwell and what seems no life.I can't go out without anxitey aim scared to try eat what was normal for me to eat and to go out with fear of making a fool of myself by fainting or having a moment as I like to call them.everyone around goes about there normal life and I just get given drugs and sit in the house day in day out I am going insane.well diverted a little there but I was put on pred 40mg for seven days to taper down to 5mg after eight weeks.I ve got down as far as 25mg and Iam flaring again so iam back upto 40mg again.they say because of crp getting higher again they need to do this and my body reacts to high doses.they ve said they have to surpress the crohns before I can go on azerthyropan or however you spell it.I just feel trapped between a pillar and a post and just pop pills allday will this ever end and I ll return to normal.it's annoying sorry for random essay.

A big hug for you! :hug:
Prednisone is awful stuff, it made me feel anxious, depressed and made me feel I was a different person. Combined with al the other side effects I hated the stuff. I can understand you feel awful when you thought you were almost done with it, and then you had to start all over again!
Try to remember it's only temporary, and it's (we hope) working wonders in your belly 24/7...

Why doesn't your GI start the other meds combined with the prednisone? That way your new medication can start taking over from de prednisone from the minute you start tapering down the pred. That's how they did it with me and the salofalk as well as with Remicade. Of course, I don't know if this is possible with every medicine, but I would at least ask the GI.

Keep on fighting, it will get better in the end! :wine:

Goldstar,

Prednisone is short term and should only be used it extreme situations. We do everything we can to keep my daughter from taking it.
It did the same thing to her with each 8 week dose and the second time around it didnt even make much of a difference.
It sounds like with your abscess, it is needed and hopefully with help you tremendously.
I read from one person, if you avoid salt intake it helps relieve the prednisone symptoms but I know everyone is different.

The anxiety and feeling like you dont want to leave the house is something our daughter has been experiencing as well. When you are in a flare, it is time to stop and take the best care of yourself as possible. I try to support my daughter and we want her to continue doing something: school, a craft.. but depression often takes over and it is something she will have to work through with all of our love and support.

you have our support too