• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Preeclampsia & Autoimmune Disease

Hi Ladies!,

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and have been recently diagnosed with hypertension. I've been doing lots of research on PIH and preeclampsia and have read that women with Autoimmune disease are more at risk for preeclampsia.
Has anyone had experience with this?

I had preeclampsia with my first child, who now has crohn's (he was diagnosed at age 11). I was diagnosed with transverse myelitis (autoimmune disorder) at age 36. I was 25 when I had my son.

They watched my blood pressure very carefully and I was given Magnesium sulfate during labor. No major complications and I had a healthy baby. I had a daughter 5 years later and no problems with Preeclampsia. My OB told me it is usually just an issue with your first baby.

I had no idea there was a connection.

I was diagnosed with my first autoimmune disease (antiphospholipid syndrome) after a pregnancy complicated by severe pre-e that started turning into HELLP and resulted in an emergency c-section at 31 weeks of a 2.5-pound baby with IUGR. My doctor said it was rare for such early, severe pre-e to occur in a previously healthy person, and sent me to a rheumatologist for a workup. He was right. I was diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome and was instructed to not risk another pregnancy. I didn't get Crohn's until 5 years after that.

P.S. Just in case my story scared you . . . the tiny preemie came out unscathed from the experience and is now a beautiful, healthy, tall, smart, amazing 11-year-old dynamo :).

My first child is 16 this month, 20 years ago I told had first autoimmune disease that the disappear after few years but left other in place. Pre Eclmpsia will all three daughters.

My second daughter trigger crohns but had third daughter 2004 and nearly died of E Eclampsia and told about have Crohns in 2007.

Most 5-7 years between the two daughters I was more or less flaring all time.
Please take care of you and bump. xxxx