• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnancy and crohn's

Hi,

I'm just after some advice and to see people's views basically I sadly had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago now and of course The doctors saw on my notes that I had crohns I asked them if the crohns had something to do with what happen an they said it could of me and my partner want to have another child but I'm really worried to say the least that its gonna happen again we do have a 15 months old already but before my little one I did have another miscarriage and after having my little one is when the symptoms of my crohns flared and I was diagnosed in march this year I'm just so so so worried it will happen again please help xx

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hello xkerryx,

I'm SO sorry you have had to deal with two miscarriages. I imagine it must have been terribly difficult for you. :hug:

I personally do not have children but I eventually would like some. I went to an IBD Education Conference earlier this year where some of the best IBD doctors in the US spoke on various Crohn's topics...one of them being fertility and pregnancy with IBD and I learned:

There is no increased risk of fetal mortality or increased risk of congenital malformations because of IBD. There may however be adverse outcomes such as low birth weight, small size for gestational age or an added possibility of preterm birth (if you are mid-flare).

Some medications have more risk factors than others on the developing fetus. So it is important to inform yourself and do your own personal research as well as discuss it with your doctor if you are on medication for crohn's and are planning to become pregnant. Here is some research that was provided at the conference:

Registry of Pregnant women with IBD and their offspring to determine if IBD medications affects pregnancy and health of the baby

1115 women (of which 896 delivered) were followed
Patients on different medications (biologics, immunosuppressants) were studied and compared to unmedicated

Key findings-
IBD medication exposure during pregnancy was not associated with abnormalities in:
Rate of congenital anomalies
Infant height and weight
Overall rates of infections
Developmental milestones at months 4,9,12

Of the patients studied, those on biologics alone had a slightly increased rate of
Spontaneous abortions
C-sections

**These results may relate to the fact that patients with more severe disease took biologic therapies

Of the patients studied, those on combination therapy (Biologics and immunosuppressants) had a slightly increased rate of-
Preterm birth
Infections at 12 months
UC: Any complication, premature delivery, low birth weight, neonatal intensive care unit

**Again, these results may be due to the aggressive disease that led to combination drug use rather than the agents themselves
Source: PIANO research

While the doctors recommended disease control/remission before pregnancy as the ideal situation for many, I do hear stories that some on this forum may have gone off meds and experienced minimized symptoms when pregnant possibly due to hormones.

I have one year old and now I'm on my second pregnancy. This time I had a flare up in the first trimester with a obstruction. They couldn't do much for me and I was able to treat myself and went in and the baby was fine. Miscarriage was my concern too, but I think trying one more time would be okay if you are well enough. I wouldn't give up hope, but truthfully I can feel how much it must hurt to lose a wee one...it must be awful. :(

Thank you everyone for your replies its just so hard when it was the second misscarridge I've had and being told by doctors that it could of been the Crohn's and that it can happen again just scares me from trying again xx

Hi. I have two children (10 and 7 years) with Crohns flare ups with both pregnancies. After having my daughter at 26 weeks gestation (weighing a whopping 1 pound!) I suffered three miscarriages before getting pregnant with my son. I had him at 32 weeks - he was my big boy at 3 pound 5 oz! End result, two beautiful, healthy, wonderful children who brighten my world every single day.
Don't give up - it's worth the journey.