• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnancy, BCP, and Crohn's

I've heard more than once that some women report that their Crohn's symptoms abate with pregnancy, with the consensus seeming to be that it has something to do with the hormone changes associated with pregnancy.

Since BCP, at least in some limited way, "simulate" pregnancy in order to keep the woman from becoming pregnant, do birth control pills (or other hormone) therapy have any effect on Crohn's? Has anybody had any experience with this..?

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
I've heard more than once that some women report that their Crohn's symptoms abate with pregnancy, with the consensus seeming to be that it has something to do with the hormone changes associated with pregnancy.

Since BCP, at least in some limited way, "simulate" pregnancy in order to keep the woman from becoming pregnant, do birth control pills (or other hormone) therapy have any effect on Crohn's? Has anybody had any experience with this..?
Muppet,
Pregnancy will often reduce Inflammatory reactions seen in many different diseases, including Crohn's disease (as long as the mother is not flaring during conception). In pregnancy, the immune response is reduced so it does not fight against the "foreign invader" = the developing fetus.

Birth control pills can offer an anti-inflammatory or pro-inflammatory effect and this depends on the formulation of the drug and how your body responds to it. Some women see their flares are worse or better with different formulations (or no effect at all). I would stress paying close attention to your body's response to the addition, removal or change in any BCP. :)

I'm actually considering the potential benefit for my 14 year old daughter, but she may be too young. I wonder if it might also help with her irregular, extremely heavy menstruation. She has a blood clotting disorder and her bleeding makes me very nervous.

SarahBear

It wouldn't hurt to try. A lot of women find that their Crohn's symptoms worsen during their periods, so it might help if she has any problems like that, too. If it doesn't help or makes things worse, she can always stop taking it.