• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnant and feeling un-well

SO I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A FLAIR UP BUT IT TURNS OUT IM PREGNANT!

I AM VERY HAPPY DONT GET ME WRONG BUT ITS HARD TO FEEL TO EXCITED WHEN IM FEEL SO ILL. AS I SAID I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A FLAIR UP AND ON 17TH MAY HAD A HOSPITAL APPOINTMENT WHERE WAS TOLD THAT I HAVE CD AND NOT UC. WAS TOLD TO UP MY PENTASA TO 8 A DAY AND HAVE ALSO BEEN PUT ON BUDESONIDE, 3 A DAY. BEEN TAKING MY MEDS TRYING TO GET BETTER WHEN I FIND OUT THIS FRIDAY JUST GONE THAT IM PREGNANT. bEEN HAVING A BAD FEW DAYS. I HAVE BEEN FEELING SICK, I CAN PUT UP WITH THAT, BUT I HAVE BEEN HAVING VERY VERY BAD AND BLOODY DIARRHOEA. WENT TO THE DOCTORS TODAY AND HE HAS GIVEN ME CODEINE TO TAKE, 3 A DAY. IM HOPING THIS HELPS AS MORNINGS ARE VERY BAD, BY THE TIME IT GETS TO 11 IN THE MORING IM NOT TOO BAD BUT ITS STARTING TO TAKE IT OUT OF ME.

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AS THIS IS MY FIRST PREGNANCY AND DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF FEELING THIS WAY ALL THE WAY THROUGH. LOTS OF PEOPLE I CAN TALK TO ABOUT BABY STUFF BUT NO ONE WHO HAS CROHNS. MY MUM HAS CD BUT ONLY IN RECENT YEARS WHEN ME AND MY BROTHER AND SISTER ARE ALL GRWN UP.:sign0085:

Hi, I feel for you, I have four children: ages 8,6,4,3 and I had really bad morning sickness with diarhea with all of them for the first few months, but that was all I had, My Crohns went into total remission while I was pregnant with all of them, It was like I never had the disease, so hopefully this will work out for you. Make sure you doc watches your hemoglobin levels, I dropped really low when I was preg. bc I lost alot of blood with the diarhea in the beggining that I had to have Iron and some blood transfusions throught my pregnancies but my crohns totally went away for about the last 6 months up until about 2-3 months after having the baby which gave me time to take care of the baby and myself before having to fight off Crohns again. Hope this helps a bit.

With both my boys being pregnant made my crohns symptoms go away and I felt great with my first son. My second son though i had horrible morning sickness and being in the car made me sick/dizzy. My abdominal cramps went away after a few months of being pregnant though. Each pregnancy can be different. with my first i felt great even when i was 41 weeks. But with my second i felt terrible the entire time. I got induced a week early because i was so uncomfortable. Well thank god i did because i was having a vbac and he was already 8lbs 8 oz. It took me two hours to push him out and a third degree tear. But believe me when i say this you will totally forget all about being pregnant and how bad it was. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will put you in remission like it did with me. I've heard breastfeeding can help you if you have crohns. I couldn't handle it because of my complications though.

Hi and congratulations, I have 2 girls and my symptoms went with both of them and I never felt better and I managed to breastfeed the first one for 7 months and the second for 5 months. I did get a flare up though when they were about a year old!!

Funny...

I recently found out I was pregnant while in the worst flare in my life. I already have two little boys and this recent stinker was unexpected (docs took me off birth control due to clotting concerns with other autoimmune issues.) I had major belly issues with both my boys before but this one is the worst by far. I am currently on another round of prednisone in an attempt to get some relief and it is slowly working.

I have heard that pregnancy will often cause women to go into remission. I'm not that lucky I guess. My last pregnancy is what caused my diseases to spiral and this one does not look to be shaping up any better. I am only 9.5 weeks pregnant and I have a long way to go...

I wish I knew someone who has gone through this too, because I feel like no one around me understands...

However, the end result of all this torture was my two beautiful boys. Although I am having a hard time seeing it, I know that this one will end up like that too. I just have to survive... ugh

Hello, sorry that your not doing to well - I know what your going through. Let me start by saying that I am doing really well now and everything is back under controll, I could even use the word normal! I am now 17 weeks pregnant.

Things however were really hard going. As I said before I thought I was having a really bad flare, this came at a time I was due a check up appointment at the hospital and was put on Budesonide. Now normally steroids work really well for me and I start to see improvments quite quickly, not this time though. (I had never been on this steroid before only prednisone) When I found out I was pregnant I put this bad flare down to this and just kept saying to myself "just get through these first 3 months and you will feel better" having heard that the first 3 months are the hardest. I was feeling really sick all day long and had really bad bloody diarhea. I went to my doctor and he was no help, put it all down to "morning sickness" and went on that some women just dont cope with it as well as others! If I wasnt feeling so sick and out of it I would have pressed more for help, I wish I had done.

Now I dont want to be all bad news and make you worry but I want to be honest, just remember I am very well now. I just got more and more sick and on sunday 26th of June I was really bad. In England we have something called NHS Direct, its a help line to phone for medical advice. They advised me to go to see the C Doc. This is an out of hours doctor that is based at the hospital that is like going to see my doctor at my local surgery. I was amitted into hospital that day, I was dehydrated and need fluids over the next few days.

In total I spent 10 nights in hospital. I had fluids for about 3 days. They also gave me 4 injections of steriods a day into my canular and I had to have oral potassium 2 times a day. I also got myself a nice E. coli urin infection to top it all off. All sounds bad I know but they started to treat me and I started to get better. After 10 nights I was ready to break out!!

I was sent home with prednisone, taking 8 5mg tablets a day for a week then 7 for a week and so on, im now down to 2 a day. I am also taking 6 500mg of pentasa a day. I was weak when I left hospital but my bowles were back to normal and no blood. It felt great to be home.

Im glad you said that your prednisone is starting to make you feel better, even if it is slow. Keep positive and hopefuly it will really start to make you better. I know its hard, and your right unless they have been there knowone really knows how bad you feel and what its like. You want to enjoy being pregnant but how can you when you feel sooooo bad. All this has taught me that I should never of let it go on so long before I got help and I most deffiantly should not of let my doctor ignore how bad I was. Never again will I let that happen.

I hope this message doesnt sound too "domb and glomb" and that it can make you see that no matter how bad you feel there is medication out there that can help, so if what your on really doesnt make it better try to gat on somthing else. There are things that are safe for the baby. My baby is doing well, I have had 3 scans now and baby looks good. Im due my 20 week scan on 8th Sep and am looking forward to that.

It does seem to be true that some get really well when pregnant, my cousin who has UC said during both here pregnancies it was as if she was never ill and felt the best she had ever done. I guess we are just the unlucky ones who go the other way!

Just stay positive and I hope you start to get better, it is possiable to get there. Feel free to contact me any time, I would love to know how your getting on.

All my love, Claire xx