• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnant and newly diagnosed

Hello,
I was diagnosised with crohns about 3 months ago. I am currently pregnant and its seems the pregnancy triggered the symptoms to get bad enough to finally diagnose.
I am taking 8 500mg pentasa a day as well as salkofalk nightly. Since I've started meds I seem to only be getting worse.
I use to OK a few times a day, no pain, no urgency. Now I am going 10-14 times a day, the bleeding is getting worse, the pain is constant and the urgency is getting worse.
Would anyone have any experience or helpful thoughts they can share?
I can't stay hydrated and I'm becoming very exhausted. I have a 2 year old and also work full time. I'd love some relief.
I've been keeping a food journal to see if I can pinpoint triggers but so far it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I keep getting sicker

Any advice would be appreciated!

my little penguin

Staff member
Has your doc recommended EEN ( exclusive enteral nutrition - formula only no food )?
Formulas such as boost ensure peptamen etc..,
It's used in kids and some adults to induce remission instead of steroids
Happy uses it

fuzzy butterfly

Hi and welcome sorry you need to be here. Unfortunately meds can be a tricky one to get right and can take a while to get working😔. Keep your doctor/s updated on how your doing so they are fully aware how things are and how meds are affecting you. That way they can hopefuly they get you on the right treatment plan. Then you should see an improvement. This is marathon n not a sprint im afraid😕. Sending hugs n best wishes💕

Welcome. I had my first flare up during my pregnancy. No one knew what was going on & my OB didn't get how terrible it was. I was diagnosed a long time after the birth of my child. My flare started around 10 weeks & lasted until about 30-32 weeks pregnant.

Calio1, did they do a colonscopy during your pregnancy? Did you take any additional supplements? Most importantly, did the baby turn out heealthy? Just wondering b/c I am going through something similar now. Thanks!

Calio1, did they do a colonscopy during your pregnancy? Did you take any additional supplements? Most importantly, did the baby turn out heealthy? Just wondering b/c I am going through something similar now. Thanks!
They did not. Basically my OB blew me off and said it was 'pregnancy stuff' for about 2-3 months before I went to a GI myself. He had no clue what was going on and refused to give me medicine, saying that it could be dangerous to do a colonoscopy while pregnant. He had me come back a few times both during and after the pregnancy - since the issue resolved around 32+ weeks, he did not have me do a colonoscopy until my next flare up, which was about a year later.

Looking back, it is quite annoying - I should have been given prednisone to see if it helps, I was miserable for most of my pregnancy due to Crohn's.

The baby is healthy - he's 2.5 years old now. He did have a calcium spot on the ultrasound and an irregular heartbeat during pregnancy, both of those went away by the time he was born. He has mild asthma (both myself & my older son have moderate/severe asthma) but other than that is healthy. He did have some back teeth (molars) come in at an odd color, and those teeth needed 'baby root canals
But that has been his only issue.

I'm currently pregnant was diagnosed at 19 weeks w a flex sig. Been having symptoms I'm 30 weeks now. Can't get stable even w prednisone ! And can't decide which mesalamine to take they all have chemicals that make me nervous. Bloody stools this whole time.