• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnant with crohns flare and abdominal abscess

Hi I have been looking and looking to see if anybody has been in a similar situation as me and can't find any other stories like mine hoping maybe someone here can help,I was diagnosed with crohns in July 2015 put on steroids and humira and was doing fine,found out I was pregnant in the September and have been flaring since,ended up in hospital in January for 12 days with flare came home and following week found a lump in my stomach that got bigger within days so back to hospital for 3 weeks while they tried to treat this stomach abscess with antibiotics as they didn't want to drain with me being pregnant,had first dose of remicade while there and came home on antibiotics,lump was getting bigger to the point that it looked like another head in my stomach and I was in so much pain,collapsed at home 9 days after leaving the hospital and brought back to hospital in an ambulance with sepsis and spent a week in ICU as well as 2 weeks in a hospital room abscess was drained but lump came back a few days later and they put another drain in but very little came out of it,I am home a week today and the lump is back again and I am at my wits end! GI said its loops of bowel and it may need to be cut out would it be normal for loops of bowel to stick out in a big lump? I'm not sore at all this time and it's not as big as it was but I'm so depressed I've done nothing but cry and cry,I have 3 children and I can't handle having to leave them for 3 weeks at a time while in hospital,it's affecting my mental health and I'm starting to think I just couldn't be bothered living like this,is there light at the end of the tunnel? Obviously they won't do surgery until baby is born but is recovery long? Please I hope someone can help me

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this on top of all the pregnancy stuff! I haven't had surgery but wanted to let you know you can vent anytime.. Hopefully someone else can give some input.

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Rubo
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble it is quite an endurance feat for you...to say the least.
It may be that you need the surgery to enable a more normal life for you
It must be horrendous for you and the children with so many hospitalization
I have had two major surgeries in the last two years first right and then left colon and now life is so much better than the past five years.......although I did not have the added stress
of pregnancy.i was in and out of hospital with various complications in that time.
Also I thought I would not survive on each occasion but had a very skilled surgeon ,surgical team and medical team and now I am beginning to feel normal again.
Sometimes the way to heal is through surgery..but it is hard to leave the children.
You have to look to your own future too and how good it would be to receive some healing so that you can get on with your life.
Thoughts and prayers are with you
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Thank you for the lovely comments,it's a nice (if I may use that word) feeling to know your not the only one going through this,I find myself very very bitter especially when I see people running about doing every day things and I'm barely able to make it off the couch! Had 3rd inflixinab dose on Wednesday and can have no more until after the baby is born so hoping it kicks in but I am just exhausted physically and mentally,I think once the baby is born I will know better where we stand in regards to surgery etc I've never wanted a pregnancy to be over so quick although I'm grateful for every week that passes as they thought they were going to have to deliver at 22 weeks,I'm now 27 and baby doing well :) I'm trying to enjoy being at home but it's hard when all your thinking at the back of your mind is when am I going back to hospital? My anxiety is so bad which is crap for crohns I know!!!!

It's hard not to let the anxiety get to you. But hang in there; it will get better! Loops of bowels sticking out in a lump sounds like a hernia to me? Babies squish your intestines all over the place as they get bigger. Since you've had 3 kids your abdominal muscles may be weak there? But I think a GI doctor would have no trouble diagnosing a hernia. Try to take care of yourself and when the baby is born you can evaluate what you need to do to get healthy whether it be surgery or medication. Glad to hear the baby is doing well :)

Trysha

Staff member
Well done Rubo and congratulations on achieving your 27th week of success with being a baby buggy.
Of course you are looking forward to the birth of your baby and so will your others family members await this joyful occasion.
It is natural to be filled with thoughts for the future but this ca n also cause anxiety and fears.
Do not distress yourself wit h imaginings.,nor compare yourself to others.,there are always others greater and lesser than ourselves.
Take one day at a time and try to find one good thing in each day....not always easy but we can do it.
You must have a busy life with your family probably a full time occupation but there are always joyful times where there are children.
Once your baby is born life for you will be less complicated and you will be able to concentrate on getting well again and keeping well.
Try to live in the moment....yesterday is gone.. today is ours.. and tomorrow is yet to come
Feel better soon
Prayers and hugs
Trysha