• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prep Rx

I wasn't expecting my Rx and prep instructions in the mail (colonoscopy isn't until June 22nd), but wow, this is going to be rough, lol. I have to start my prep Saturday night (procedure is done on Monday at 10:45am). This sucks! I was hoping for a 24 hour fast, so that I could at least stuff myself with a big breakfast the day before, lol. Guess it'll be easier on my bowels this way -- nice ol' dinner with broth and jello!

Anyway, it's Halflytely and Citrate of Magnesia. Just the names alone make me want to gag. :shifty-t:

We all love prep around here! At least you can post on here and have a good old rant about it when it gets you down, and we'll all agree.
The worst bit about my prep (when I last had a barium enema) was that it didn't work properly. I followed all the instructions (or rather, my wife made sure I followed all the instructions) and I was still a bit bunged up. All the staff looked at me suspiciously as if I hadn't done what I was told... then I had to go through it all again a couple of weeks later. Sure yours will go better than that though.

My last meal before the final 24 hour fast was steamed fish and mashed potato... mmm...

I wonder if that's why they have me on a 36 hour fast instead of 24 hours (to make sure it ALL gets out, lol). Ugh, I keep hearing about how much the prep stinks, but the reality of it set in as soon as I got my instructions. BOO!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Mmmmm... salty sweat water. That's the halflytely.
The mag citrate is like super sour patch kids juice. It's almost refreshing. just pretend you are on an island, and it has a paper umbrella in it. It's a really small amount, so that one's doable.
Sweat-water is another story though.
I would even eat very easily digestible things on Friday and Saturday too.
You'll get through it. Good luck!

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
That sucks! I just had a colonoscopy today actually, and I opted for the Osmo Prep (32 salt pills - I was up with vomit and diarrhea all night).
I hope all goes well - let us know!

gosh theres a lot of people going through scopes all around the same time!

like agent said, definitly come on here and whine about it all you want and as often as you want.
hopefully it will take your mind off of the food and the explosive poo when the time finally comes. youve got a while though, so stuff your face until then lol!

LOL, I figure I can gain 10lbs stuffing my face and then lose it all with the prep :p

I'm beginning to think my doctor hates me. Gives me a 36 hour fast AND the nasty sea animal sweat garbage, ew! I'm definitely thinking of asking for an alternative. I can pretty much down anything, but the thought of "sweat" is enough to make my gag reflex go nuts. :X

vshirey317 said:
LOL, I figure I can gain 10lbs stuffing my face and then lose it all with the prep :p

I'm beginning to think my doctor hates me. Gives me a 36 hour fast AND the nasty sea animal sweat garbage, ew! I'm definitely thinking of asking for an alternative. I can pretty much down anything, but the thought of "sweat" is enough to make my gag reflex go nuts. :X
Is my sea creature sweat description hanging on? :)

I went to the pharmacy today to pick up my new meds and the guy in front of me was picking up a box of MoviPrep, which was my undoing on Monday night. I felt lots and lots of sympathy for him. Drinking the sweat juice is rough!

My doctor kept apologizing to me for giving me the "bad prep" - I really hope that means if I have to get another scope anytime soon, she'll give me a good prep, if that's not a complete oxy moron!

You have lots of time to enjoy your food now and try not to think of the prep...and when you're going through it you'll have plenty of people who know what you're dealing with. For now, enjoy your junk food of choice!