• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prep Time

Not sure when to start my prep. The box says your doc will tell you when to start - hmm!

All I know is am not supposed to eat or drink anything after midnight - not even water. The box says to take the pill first and then after I have my first bowel movement (1-6 hours) or after 6 hours if no bowel movement to start drinking the rest of it.

I figure if I start it at 5 that means I'll be drinking the rest at 11 pm at the latest... But I would like to start the prep as late as possible. Do you think 5 is a good time to take the pill? How long do you think it will take realistically before the first bowel movement?

Also when I prepped for my colonoscopy, the instructions regarding how much fluid I needed to drink with it were ridiculously explicit. With this prep there are no instructions to that regard. I even asked the pharmacist and she said, "Yea you can drink Gatorade if you want..." I don't want to end up dehydrated! Am I over thinking this?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
"Bisacodyl delayed-release tablets:
Do not crush, chew, or break the bisacodyl delayed-release tablets. Swallow the bisacodyl tablets whole with a glass of water. Delayed-release tablets are specially made to release medicine slowly in the body. Breaking the pill would cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.

You should have a bowel movement within 1 to 6 hours after taking the bisacodyl tablets. After your first bowel movement, start using the HalfLytely solution.

HalfLytely solution:

The HalfLytely powder must be mixed with water before you take it. Fill the container with water up to the 2-liter mark. Place the cap on the bottle and shake it until the powder is completely dissolved.

A variety of flavor packs are provided with the PEG-3350 powder. Use only one pack to add flavor to the solution. You may also prepare the solution without a flavor pack. Do not add any extra flavorings such as sugar, honey, artificial sweetener, fruit juices, or other beverages.

Shake the liquid well just before you measure each dose. The usual dose of PEG-3350 solution is 8 ounces every 10 minutes. Drink the solution in the exact portions at the exact time intervals prescribed by your doctor.

Drink each portion as quickly as possible, rather than sipping it slowly. The first watery stool should appear within 1 hour after you start drinking the HalfLytely solution.

You may store the mixed solution in a refrigerator but you must use it within 48 hours after mixing. Throw away any PEG-3350 solution you have not used within 48 hours after it was mixed.

PEG-3350 will produce watery diarrhea. Keep drinking the solution until you have consumed all 2 liters.

On the day of your colonoscopy or bowel exam, do not eat solid food or drink anything other than clear liquids. You may be instructed not to drink or eat anything before your medical test or procedure. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink for at least 24 hours before and after your test or procedure."
http://www.drugs.com/halflytely.html

Another link from Webmd says basically the same thing: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-91529-HalfLytely+Oral.aspx?drugid=91529&drugname=HalfLytely+Oral

I've never taken that particular prep before but whenever I prepped with GoLytely the prep began at 6pm. With the pill you take for the prep above it's not the same pills where you have to drink a ton of water. I think the time you start depends on what time your procedure is but generally the prep isn't after 6pm because they don't want to keep people up in the bathroom all night when they should be sleeping. :p Hope that helped a little.

Oh my stars that prep is unholy. There is no way I am going to be able to drink it all. I haven't even finished the first glass. Oh I'm in trouble.

OMG I had that while in the hospital I chose the orange flavor and it was MUCH worse than the nonflavored salt water one I had for my first prep. I had it in the hospital got about 1/3 of the way down and started vometting. They kept trying to get me to drink more and I told them I just couldn't but I had been on a liquid diet for the past two days and just mucous was coming out so they let it slide. Its so much more difficult when your dragging an iv thing back and forth to the bathroom I crapped myself a good amount of times that week... O.O

As a quick note it's better to start earlier in the day so your not going to the bathroom all night(around noon is the best time) and it's easier to get through when you chug a glass of that and drink something with a decent flavor after. Good luck on your colonoscopy tomorrow

Sorry no advise here never tried that one.
I've tried pico salex (my fav so far) LOL
I've had phosto soda
I've had fleet
I've had golyte

Never had to try pill prep before.

I hope it all goes well for you.