• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prepping for colonoscopy

I know in the grand scheme of things, and perhaps even my Crohn's journey, this is not very important, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Today is my prep day for my colonoscopy (anyone else have trouble typing this word without misstyping it EVERY single time?) tomorrow morning. So, of course I'm on the clear liquid diet all day today. Yesterday I went grocery shopping for a few things: extra juices and chicken broth. Well, I finally have come to realize...

I CANNOT EAT CHICKEN BROTH.

I blame my short hospital visit for this. I was alright eating it for a few days, and then about the 3rd day on clear liquids I could not stomach even the smell of chicken broth. I tried the vegetable and the beef to no avail, but the disgust apparently has stayed with me.

I even tried Campbell's thinking it would taste not so geriatric cafeteria-like, but as it warmed on my stove the aroma turned my stomach and I dumped the whole pot down the drain. I tried ramen chicken broth. Nope. Regular chicken noodle soup with all the "stuff" strained from it. Nope. (Though the last one wasn't revolting, it just tasted REALLY bland).

So, I give up. No chicken broth for me. I gave it another chance, but it just didn't work. Looks like the rest of my day will be filled with juice, popsicles, and Jell-o.

Wah. :ybatty:

UGH!! Thats brutal!!
But on the plus side popsicles and jello are delicious!! And its only till tomorrow right?
Hang in there. :)

I know what you mean with chicken broth! Unless there is actual chicken and or noodles or some other substance of real food in it I cannot stand it either. Usually for my preps I just stick with water! I hope everything works out well for you tomorrow :D

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hi Dream,
Welcome to the forum. I just did my colonoscopy two weeks ago. I was told I could eat saltine crackers along with jello, gatorade, etc. and had a few the day of my prep. Helped quell the hunger.

Which prep are you using?

Good luck!

They gave me the generic version of TriLyte. It's a 4 liter jug of sodium bicarbonate, sodium chlorida, and potassium chloride. Came with 4 teeny tiny packets of flavoring. I have to drink 2 liters starting around 5 pm. 8 oz every 10-15 minutes. And then the other 2 liters starting at midnight. My colonoscopy is at 11:30 am tomorrow morning. I can't wait for it to be done!

Nyx

Good luck with the colonoscopy! I hate chicken broth too; that's from being in the hospital as well, they tried to feed it to me every day for a week. I was never so happy see yellow jello....lol...and I hate yellow jello! But, they finally felt sorry for me on Christmas Day and gave me chocolate pudding...I was in heaven!!!

Again, good luck! And I'm with Jen, I usually only stick with water too.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
2 litres, is alot when you dont feel well!! :( In Canada we have Pico Salax you drink 1 cup the night before and 1 cup before your scope, and drink 1.5 bottles of water after the first one and tastes like a salty orange... Hang in there it will be over before you know it! Let us know what the results are ok?

Yeah I've heard this stuff tastes a bit salty and I used the orange flavor packet, so sounds like salty orange to me! Haha. I will definitely post as soon as I get home to let everyone know how it went. I can't wait to find out exactly what kind I have and where it is (even though we already kind of know based on CT scans) for sure!