• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Preventing IBD May Not be Hopeless

Scipio

From the article:

"Adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle may prevent inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), according to findings from an analysis of three prospective U.S. cohort studies, which were validated in three external European cohorts.

In the primary analysis, maintaining low modifiable risk scores -- based on risk factors including body mass index, smoking status, use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, physical activity, and daily consumption of fruit, vegetables, fiber, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and red meat -- could have prevented 42.9% of Crohn's disease cases and 44.4% of ulcerative colitis cases, reported Hamed Khalili, MD, MPH, of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, and colleagues.
Moreover, adherence to a healthy lifestyle could have prevented 61.1% of Crohn's disease cases and 42.2% of ulcerative colitis cases, they noted in Gut."

Now if they could just figure out why very young children ,toddlers and infants also get crohns ….even with a “healthy lifestyle “
The microbiome could also give a predisposition to developing IBD, and a large percentage of it is inherited from the mother. Other then that, exposure to antibiotics is a likelihood according to 7 studies that I recall reading. Then chemicals in the food supply and environment.

my little penguin

Staff member
Unfortunately my kiddo who has ibd was only 14 days old when he showed signs of Gi issues .
No antibiotics at all until after age 4 but was sick from birth —finally scoped and dx at age 7
Other kiddo who does not have ibd had a ton of antibiotics due to ear infections etc from 4 months on
Same food -same parents so ….

Unfortunately my kiddo who has ibd was only 14 days old when he showed signs of Gi issues .
No antibiotics at all until after age 4 but was sick from birth —finally scoped and dx at age 7
Other kiddo who does not have ibd had a ton of antibiotics due to ear infections etc from 4 months on
Same food -same parents so ….
sorry to hear, It's worse when it affects a child. This is very interesting though.

Last edited: