• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Preventive Care

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm starting a new job in which Preventive Care prescriptions are fully covered. Right now I'm using Mesalamine DR 1.2 for my UC. Have any of you been able to get your IBD medications as Preventive Care? I know that they are seen as maintenance, but don't see this under the list. What do you think?

Thank you ☺

Mine have always been seen as maintenance as well. Could a Dr. recategorize them? I have had Drs do that in the past to get a med covered by insurance before...just never had to try with an IBD med. I had a Dr give me a prescription for an over the counter med as well, so that it would be cheaper for me through insurance instead of having to buy at the store.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Apparently, it sounded like my medication would be sent to insurance and if it was denied then would be sent to my GI and he would rewrite the prescription in order to make it "preventive care." Husband and I decided that for now it'd be best to stay with my current employment instead of taking this new one.

In the meantime, we talked with my GI and he's trying me on Sulfasalazine which is much cheaper than the Mesalamine that I'm currently on. I was on that a long time ago when I was first diagnosed and if it works that'd be great! I'll be on it a month (starting tomorrow) and am to keep my GI updated whether or not it happens to work. So, we'll see. Thanks for your ideas!