• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Probiotics and Remicade?

Has anyone heard that you shouldn't take probiotics while on Remicade?

For every article I've come across saying don't do it, there is another saying it's no problem, even beneficial. Something about immune suppressing strands vs immune modulating strands?

I have DS on a 5 billion lacto acidophilus/bifi lactis combo adult dose once a day. He's been fine on this particular brand for a month now - or at least it hasn't caused any problems. GI has no opinion.

Anyone have any info?

my little penguin

Staff member
We talked to our Gi about this subject this week.
The Gi handles lots of transplant kids as well.
The theory is that you don't give probiotics to kids who are on picc lines , TPN etc since you would be introducing Bactria in the blood stream but we were told ingesting it by mouth while on biologics was not a concern.
DS is doing well on his and has been on them since the beginning of last summer with humira so no issues .

Our Gi said we go what works to DS and this obviously does regardless of what the papers say about probiotics and crohn's .

DS is on 900 billon per day ( vsl#3 DS) prescription only

crohnsinct

Our GI votes no. Also went on to say you have to take the exact right probiotic for the things you are trying to fight and figuring out the right probiotic is a big puzzle and quality of the probiotics out there stinks and on and on. O has been fine for 2 years with Remi and no probiotic so I guess it works for us. But there are many docs and patients who swear by them. Nice clear cut answer eh?

Maya142

Staff member
Interesting…my daughter was prescribed a probiotic while Remicade (same MLP's son, vsl#3). She's still on it now that she's on Humira. She often skips it though (by mistake) and she seems to be the same whether she takes it or not. So not sure it does much.

I was just wondering about this.
Grace has tried many different kinds and they always cause problems.
Maybe I will try again once she's stable.

We had this conversation with our Pediatrician this week - she doesn't believe in them. Someone posted an article on the FB group earlier today and it said it may help with UC but not with CD. Who knows -- I say if you are happy, stick with it.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Mehita,

I have lifted this out of Matt’s thread. This is his GI’s opinion about probiotics in general:

Supplements - He was pleased to see that Matt is taking Vit D, Zinc and Magnesium. I asked about probiotics and specifically about SIBO due to removal of the ileocaecal valve. He said whilst there are studies that support the use of VSL 3 for other conditions, such as some liver diseases, unfortunately there are few studies regarding the use of supplements, including probiotics, and their effect on Crohn's. He is however of the opinion that if they can be taken without issue then they will certainly do no harm and who knows what positive benefit they may have in increasing Matt's chances of staying in remission.
Dusty. xxx