• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Probiotics

Has anyone used them as a diary supplement ?
Have you seen any difference by using it in the long-term ?
I was looking into buying a certain one which contains : Bifidobacterium bifidum
25 billion*
Lactobacillus casei
2 billion*
Lactobacillus acidophilus
10 billion *
Lactobacillus lactis
1 billion*
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
4.5 billion*
Lactobacillus bulgaricus
250 million*
Lactobacillus plantarum
3 billion*
Lactobacillus salvarius
250 million*
Bifidobacterium breve 2 billion*

Bifidobacterium longum
2 billion*
Total :
50billion*

Probiotics have been shown in multiple studies to be beneficial for Crohn's.
As for specific species, I am not sure which are better than others.
I know that bifidobacterium is better for the large intestine, and acidophilus for the small intestine.
There is one in the UK called VSL#3 which has been clinically proven to improve cases of pouchitis, although it is very expensive.

Unfortunately most probiotics use milk in their production. It is used as a growth medium for the bacteria. The reason this is not good is because if milk is used at any stage of the production process then the end product is likely to contain mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis (MAP). If you believe that MAP causes or contributes to Crohn's then it makes sense to avoid it as much as you can. Some brands report that milk is used, but no milk should remain in the final product, so it is suitable for people with lactose intolerance, but does that mean that there is no MAP in it? Probably not.

Scipio

Unfortunately most probiotics use milk in their production. It is used as a growth medium for the bacteria. The reason this is not good is because if milk is used at any stage of the production process then the end product is likely to contain mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis (MAP). If you believe that MAP causes or contributes to Crohn's then it makes sense to avoid it as much as you can. Some brands report that milk is used, but no milk should remain in the final product, so it is suitable for people with lactose intolerance, but does that mean that there is no MAP in it? Probably not.
There is published research showing that milk consumption is actually associated with decreased risk of IBD: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27120568

This suggests that either MAP is not a major factor in causing IBD or that milk is seldom contaminated with MAP.

Thank you all for responding, they are all important to me 🍀
At first I would like to add that currently while I'm on isoniazid I feel that it kinda helps with my bowel movements.
Furthermore while I haven't bought so far any probiotic supplement I consume every now and then kefir and natural Greek yoghurt.
In general I'm trying to keep a balanced diet avoiding alcohol , smoking, too much of red meat and of course take away and sweets..
Not sure though if my diet makes any true difference to the Crohn's behaviour.