• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Problem with horseshoe fistula for last 4 months

Hello,
I seem to having a horseshoe fistula.It started out with an abscess about 3 months back which was drained in a convenient care clinic. Since then it has been draining almost daily and I am having to cover the wound with a bandage to avoid my cloths and underwear from getting dirty. Next I went to a General surgeon and this surgeon told me I have a fistula and would need surgery to fix. Then after the surgery I was told that I have a complex fistula that he can not fix and has to refer me to a Colon surgeon. I had surgery by colon surgeon last week and he did colnoscopy and is performing some biopsy tests to check for Crohn's desease. Have follow up appt in next 2 weeks to find out if I have crohn. But Colon surgeon could not fix my horseshoe fistula because he found lot of inflamation and was told that the flap was not sticking in there to repair fistula.

Is this a normal experience and should I feel confident that my horseshoe fistula can be repaired or not. what if I do have Crohn. Can horseshoe fistula be fixed for patient with Crohn's disease.

Regards

nogutsnoglory

It sounds very likely to be crohns given the inflammation and fistula. It may heal overtime with proper treatment. If it's in fact crohns, remicade is your best bet for having it close up. The surest way to give it time to heal is by having a temporary ostomy but that's no easy decision to make and temp or permanent setons for drainage coupled with antibiotics and Remicade may do the trick.

What is a horseshoe fistula, is that the shape of the tract? I have a fistula as well, am getting a cat scan on Tuesday and then deciding what to do. I am experiencing a lot of pain with mine right now, not fun, and drains all day long. Is yours peri-anal? I buy gauze 4x4s and fold up a couple of them in half and wedge them there and it stays for the most part. I haven't had treatment for mine yet so I'll keep you posted. O have crohns btw.

Mine is peri-anal drainage. Horseshoe is the shape of the fistula tract.
Since during last surgery , horseshoe fistula could not be repaired due to Inflammation. Should the focus be on reducing the Inflammation then using Crohn's medicine instead of scheduling another surgery to repair Horseshoe fistula. How can one make sure that next time we have surgery, there is no inflammation there so fistula can actually be closed.
I have had 3 surgeries so far and hate to go through another surgery now that will not fix the Fistula issue.

nogutsnoglory

A medication like Remicade that stops the inflammation or a temporary ostomy to let the area heal while stool is being diverted.