• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Problems while taking humira

Hello I'm new to the site. I was diagnosed with crohns in 2007. I have been on humira the majority of the time. Recently I have been having severe skin rashes and fungal infections like this happens couple times a month recently. It causes me not to want go to work which I work in an elementary school so kids say things not to be rude just cause they are curious. This has come up with in the last couple of years. I have gotten things that humira is supposed to help like psraosis kindly problems. I'm always so tired could sleep and sleep anytime all the time. Sorry this is long and complaining I'm just tired of all this other stuff coming up I don't feel normal. I'm the only one in my family that has this so it's hard to talk to anyone. Just was wondering if anyone else has had any of these problems. Thanks for listening.

PsychoJane

Hi Indy,

I would encourage you to discuss these side effect with your GI which might consider it would be a good idea that you'd see a rheumatologist (this is a possibility). It is common to see patient that are reporting inflammation of their skin as a side effect of humira. It is quite paradoxical as it is indeed used to treat psoriasis but it seems it also leads to it in user that are initially not affected by the condition. It's also been observed that roughly half of the people that takes it are showing anomalies in there blood work (ANA positive) according to recent publications.

That being said, the problem, either it is skin inflammation or joint (this is also seen relatively often), will be treated differently according to the severity. Certain prescription can be obtained for topical application, either by your GI or with a reference to a dermatologist (which are usually aware of these side effects). When the situation requires it you can be switched to another medication. Apparently Cimzia would show less of these side effects than Humira and Remicade.

One thing is sure, you are not alone and I've been one of them. I'm ok since I've stopped taking it. My situation came back to normal afterward.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm just waiting on my GI appointment to discuss all of these issues. It just seems anymore I have more problems. I have 2 boys and they need me to be able to keep up with what our family has going on. Thanks again the more I get going I just could vent for hours I think. In 7 years this is the first time I have reached out to a group. So thank you!

PsychoJane

I found this website to be very helpful since I've joined. It really helps to get in touch with people that share the same situation or, at the least, similar situation as day to day can be hard when know one really understand your reality sometimes. Feel free to vent, share, ask questions as much as you need. We are a very open and knowledgeable community. :)