• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Problems with coffee

I never had any problems with coffee before, could drink it right up until bedtime and still sleep.

Might just be a coincidence, but last week I had two cups of coffee, the latest at 8pm and despite being tired couldn't sleep til gone 3am. Today I had 2 cups, but the latest at 1pm and I can't sleep again, it's 12.30am.

I don't seem to have problems with tea or coke.

Anyone know if this might be caused by removal of intestine?

Coffee and I don't agree at all. I have had four cups of coffee in my life, and vomited after every one. No reaction to colas, chocolate, coffee crisp bars.

I love the stuff but have never been able to touch it after 3 am or I can't sleep. Fine with tea or coke, weird isn't it. I also don't sleep we'll when I'm recovering from surgery, anaesthetics and other pain meds take a while to leave the system, some meds just make me wide awake. Morphine is a killer, I went 3 days no sleep on an earlier op. once they got rid of the stuff I was fine.

It's weird. It seems like a co-incidence, but it's only been those two nights I've struggled to fall aslepp - I'm not on any meds right now.

Terriernut

Hope it was just an odd two off nights for you. I try to stop caffiene at about 7 and it seems to work for me.